4. friendships

His name is Alex

His name is Alex. The guy I haven't stopped thinking about over the last two months. His name is Alex and he's okay. Despite him coming back to thank me for helping him, I always worry about the people who are in the darkest parts of their lives.

But seeing him in the flesh, looking fresher and brighter than he did the first time I met him. Deep down I'm proud of him for overcoming his dark feelings, for fighting and proving to himself that life is worth living.

I pray that he is truly happier now.

My hand presses down onto the handle as I walk into my apartment. All of my friends have already made themselves at home like they usually do. I have no idea why my place is a safe haven for all of them but I'd have it no other way.

"Who was that?" Demi asks as she walks to my fridge to grab a can of Coke.

"Oh," I scratch the back of my head. "His name's Alex. He just moved in. I was being friendly and saying hi."

There is no way I'd tell my friends how we really met. It's not fair to spread other people's misfortune, whether I know them or not. It's not gossip, it's real life and I'd like to think that someone would respect me the same way.

"Always making sure people are settled," Troy calls from across the room, he's stretched out over the sofa. Running a hand through his short dark hair, his wrist nudging his frameless glasses that sit on his nose. "You're such a saint, Riv. You should get a community medal."

I shrug at his words. "There is nothing wrong with being polite."

Troy sighs. "True, you're just a better person than I am."

Demi sits down next to her boyfriend and pushes her way into his body, attempting to make room for herself but Troy is six foot three and packed full of muscle. "Move over would you," she grumbles and Troy tuts.

I love seeing them together. They've been going out for three years, they met half way through our second year of university. Troy never saw himself as the boyfriend type but as soon as Demi walked through the door of that bar, his whole life changed. I've never seen a person backpedal as much as he did.

"Are we ordering food or what?" Mason says as he sits in the opposite chair with his arms on the rests. "I've been starving all day."

"Didn't you eat at work today?"

Mason turns to Demi with a look. "Some of us work extremely hard and don't have time for breaks."

Demi snorts to herself. "If you think I don't work extremely hard then you're mistaken."

"You work at a cafe."

"Excuse me," she recoils from his words. "If Luca were here he'd be beating your ass right now for saying that."

Mason passes a small chuckle but it's not a funny one. "Like he could take me on. Let's be real."

"The fuck is up your ass today," Troy comments, scowling at his friend. I can't help but agree. I've never seen him this uptight and snappy for no reason. "No need to be so damn rude."