Chapter 53 - Fin

FIN

I ran into the house and stumbled to the floor as scales burst down my legs. My fin pulled an Incredible Hulk routine and ripped my favorite jeans to shreds. "Crap."

"Finley, is that you?" I heard Mom call from the basement.

"Yeah," I said as I shuffled down the steps on my scaled butt like a seal, trying hard not to lose control and fall the rest of the way down.

In the pool, Mom and Dad swam together, dancing to an unheard melody, enjoying each other's company after being apart for so long. I understood, being promised myself and finally getting to be with Ash again.

"How was your visit?" Mom asked, looking at me briefly.

"Good. I almost didn't make it back in time."

She glanced over and handed me a coy smile. "I see."

I looked down and groaned. The waistband of my jeans still hugged my waist, making a frayed mess. I plopped into the water, ripped it off the rest of the way, and swam over to my floating raft, finding it broken.

Part of me wanted to swim out to the lake and stare up at Ash's window rather than stay here and watch my parents flirt. Another part of me wanted to call her, though I didn't know the number. Maybe she'd sneak out to the dock tonight instead. The thought of waiting all night to see her again killed me, especially since the pool suddenly felt too small with my parents in it.

"I'm going out," I finally said.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Dad said. "The lake is crawling with boats and divers looking for the source of the explosion."

I hit my fist against the water and groaned.

"Why don't you just call her on the phone?" Mom suggested.

I rolled my eyes. "How can I without the number?"

"Tatiana put it on speed dial," she said.

"She did?"

Mom smiled.

Without hesitation, I swam to the other end of the pool, and slithered to the stairs. I closed the basement door after catching Mom's giggle, happy to give them some privacy.

The upstairs bathroom, where I'd planned to hide-out with Tatch, had a super huge Jaccuzi tub. The reasons Tatch escaped upstairs some nights suddenly made sense. Mom must have known she was making secret calls to Ash.

After the tub filled to the top, I stared at the phone, wondering when to call. Unable to wait, I pressed the speed dial button. If someone else answered besides Ash, the night would be mighty long. My pulse beat harder waiting for her to answer, my finger ready on the hang-up button.

"This is Ash. Leave a message."

"Ash—" I cleared my throat, wanting to hear her voice again even if recorded. "It's Fin. Call me when you get a chance."

I hung up and sunk under the water. Her face decorated the backs of my eyelids. Being apart, even for the smallest amount of time drove me crazy. Talking on the phone would hopefully help. We had to figure out how to manage this relationship the best way possible.

Relieved she hadn't rejected me, I marveled at our promising. If I knew how spectacular our love could be, I wouldn't have waited so long. Then I thought about Tatch and guilt gripped my gut. Did Tatch feel this way for Azor? I worried about her, wondering if the promise squelched all her dreams of college, of being human. I formed my fists into a ball as I remembered Azor laughing at me in the palace after he'd stolen a kiss. Revenge was going to be sweet.

So many decisions now. We couldn't stay in Tahoe forever. And if I became a man to join Ash's world, I wouldn't be able to avenge Tatch. Would Ash and I be able to survive until I could get Tatch away from his evil clutches? And once I became a man later, would our feelings for each other remain after the bond of the mer left our relationship?

I blew bubbles to reduce my nervousness, hoping the phone would ring soon.