Chapter 50 - Ash

ASH

I stared at Fin as he rowed the boat, the water dripping off his abs. All I wanted to do was touch him. Could he actually be here? Or was I having another splendid dream? I didn't trust my senses at this point after all that had happened. My heart pounded as my eyes caressed every inch of his body.

Tears spilt over my eyelids and down my cheeks. With each passing moment, I wavered between shock and disbelief. But there he was, in the flesh and blood. Fin. He was alive and here again—finally. And nothing coherent would come to mind to say. I hesitantly reached forward and touched his knee; the water on his jeans was hot under my fingertips. The sensation sent a chill down my spine.

He stopped. His blue eyes, burning with want, met mine.

"I can't wait anymore." He put the oars down and clasped my hands with his, taking away my breath. "Ash, I've done nothing but fight to get back to you since your accident" —I gulped— "and I can't live without you. We're bonded in a way I never knew existed. Something so wonderful yet so horrible when we're apart. You have to know I've been going crazy with worry for what you'd think after you saw what happened at the beach. I never wanted you to find out about us that way. Please know, I hated that I couldn't tell you the truth."

I wanted to say I understood, that I didn't care. That I loved him and was relieved he was okay, overjoyed he was finally here with me. But nothing would come out of my mouth.

"Ash—"

His eyes sparked as if he knew what I was thinking. Then he reached up, palmed my cheeks with his summery hands, and brought his mouth crashing into mine, soft and warm. Fireworks exploded between us as our lips hungrily devoured one another's. My hands wove into the back of his hair, my fingers wrapping into the soft, delicious strands. He crushed me into his body and I melted under his touch. All the grief vanished as his breath swirled into my being and healed my wounded soul. Though nothing made sense, everything finally felt right.

I couldn't be sure how long we stayed there, in the boat, bobbing on the water, our arms circling one another. I didn't care. We were together and nothing would break us apart now.