Chapter 51 - Fin

FIN

We finally disconnected ourselves enough to get the boat closer to shore. Though her face beamed now, I grieved at how much she'd hurt in my absence. Was she wearing the same swim team jacket from the time before?

"I wish I would have taken a shower today," she finally said, smoothing down her red fly-away curls.

"Ash, you've never looked more beautiful to me."

She blushed and pulled her jacket down over her hips. I docked the boat and reached for her hand, pulling her into my arms. She melted into me and I never wanted to let her go.

"I'm so glad you're safe," she whispered.

I planted feather-like kisses up her jaw line and she giggled. "Being apart killed me."

She moaned lightly in my ear and swayed. "Then don't ever leave me again," she said.

I inhaled deeply and hugged her tighter. "I promise."

She giggled again. "Can I please go shower? I look horrible and I'm pretty sure I reek."

"No," I said, wanting nothing more than to hold her all day.

She pulled back and gave me a crooked smile. "Please?"

 "Fine, if you insist." I took her outstretched hand and kissed it.

She stood with a slight tilt, favoring her right foot. Then I remembered she was still injured.

"Wait." I had her sit on the bench on the dock. "This is going to be weird, but I have something to help your leg. We need to take off your bandage."

"You do?" She pinched her eyebrows together, but folded up her pajama bottoms to reveal a large ace bandage that covered her thigh.

"Trust me."

Together, with our hands touching, we loosened the wrap. I winced once I saw the horrific bruise and jagged red line held closed with Steri-Strips.

She frowned. "Looks ugly, doesn't it."

"Not for long," I said with a wink and left her to return to the boat.

Earlier, while rowing, I'd noticed the jagged metal piece she'd probably torn her leg open when she fell into the water. With a quick flick of my arm, I made a matching gash.

"What are you doing?" she shrieked at the sight of my blood spilling onto the dock.

"Just trust me."

Horror crossed her face as I came back to her and held my arm over her cut. The blood seeped into her wound, absorbing like a sponge. I'd never witnessed a mer's blood heal human injuries before, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Miraculously, the skin around the injury began to glow and change from a nasty red to a tender pink––the color of new skin. The trickle of blood slowly stopped as my own gash healed before our eyes, turning into a matching scar.

"Now I have a token to remember that day as well," I said and touched our scars together.

She looked up at me with innocence sparkling from her eyes. "What are you?"

I smiled and covered her lips with mine. "Yours."

She laughed and hugged my neck again.

I swooped her up into my arms and carried her to the house like I'd wanted to do the first time I'd seen her.