Chapter 43 - Fin

FIN

Somewhere else in the palace, Tatch was getting ready, too. Mom had rushed off to find her, leaving me alone in a guest room. Of course, there was a guard outside the door preventing me from following or trying to duck out early. The King assigned my sister guards as well, along with a female chaperone instructed to stay with her at all times since she'd incapacitated all the men in my escape.

I clenched my hands to calm my nerves. Act happy. That was what my mother's orders were, but this whole charade made my stomach roll. I'd not seen Lily since we'd almost kissed at Badger's—a different time, a different me. The last thing I wanted to do was lead her on. Maybe I'd get a chance to let her off gently before the festival. Before we smiled and waved for all the mers to see.

In front of the mirror, I pulled at the silly sleeveless vest I wore and laughed. Who'd made this monstrosity? A beauty school beginners sewing class disaster, no doubt—mine being the first victim.

I turned to answer the knock at the door, expecting Mom, and tensed. Badger floated with Lily at his side instead. She'd never looked more beautiful in a long white gown.

"Oh good, it fits you." She smiled warmly, eyeing my attire. "You weren't around to measure. Everything happened so fast, I didn't think I'd have it ready in time."

I tugged on the bottom of my vest, glad I didn't comment first. "Like a glove."

Mom and Dad were right. Arranged promisings were awkward. How was I supposed to act when I knew behind closed doors Lily's parents wrote up a proposal like we were cattle and sent it to my Mom via courier for approval? How was that romantic?

But to make things worse, Badger hovered behind Lily and beamed with pride, believing we'd be family soon. I took a deep breath and looked away. After the truth came out, he'd hate me for sure.

"I think we best be gettin' down to the festival," Badge said, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"Good idea." I moved ahead of them, wondering if I should take Lily's hand or not, and decided the less attention I gave her the better.

I'd only been to a festival once as a kid so I had no idea what awaited us. Back then, the couples swam in a long line and waved to the crowd. It lasted way too long and was a complete and total bore. I imagined this would be the same.

The goon squad followed close behind and I caught Lily watching them and me with curious eyes. Part of me found her reaction comical. I guessed no one bothered to tell her she was engaged to a criminal.

As we exited through the palace doors, a line of buggies that looked like cars in amusement park rides spread as far as the eye could see on the shiny golden street. Dowels protruded from each corner of the car; shells and other shiny crap decorated the outsides. Most of the cars already held anxiously awaiting couples. We followed suit and waited alongside the other mer couples to speak with the coordinator, a woman dressed entirely in purple.

 I craned my neck to find my sister, but neither Mom, Tatch, nor Azor were among the crowd.

"Tatch?" I asked mentally. "Are you here somewhere?"

No reply. Knowing her, she'd locked herself in a closet, refusing to come out.

"What a lovely couple you two make!" the woman in purple said to us as she held a thin slab of rock covered with writing. "Your names?"

"Finley and Lily."

"Elizabeth," Lily corrected.

I looked at her quizzically as the knot tightened in my stomach. We were complete strangers. How could she so easily want to form a lifelong bond together after only a few short visits?