Chapter 13

His first thought was that he was still entwined with Bea. The second was that he must not have set the alarm. Jonathon turned and looked at the clock.

‘Christ!’ he exploded. ‘Bea, c’mon. Frank’ll be here any minute.’

‘You’d better learn to control that blaspheming, Jonathon. I’m not having that in front of the child,’ Bea mumbled, still half asleep.

‘Yeah, yeah, whatever. Move it, woman.’ He ran to the loo, brushed his teeth and dressed.

‘You are a disgusting little tyke,’ Bea berated him.

‘I’ll shower at the studio.’

‘See that you do and after what you said to Alexandra.’

‘Bea! Will you move it!’ he yelled. ‘What are you doing woman! There isn’t time to shower. I told you!’

‘Oh, Jonathon.’

‘I’ll have to go without you, Bea if you’re not ready.’

‘You’d do that?’

‘If I have to….. Please. Please. I don’t want to, but if you’re not ready, I’ll have to. There’s no time for anything. Not tea, not breakfast, not a shower. Brush your teeth and get dressed, woman.’

She grudgingly obeyed him. He groaned inwardly. He knew how she hated last minute rushes. She hated being late for anything. She was going to be madder than a wet hen all the way to the studio.

In the car she sat and seethed. Jonny tried to lighten the mood. He chuckled and dabbed her nose. She slapped his hand away.

‘Uh Oh!’ he sang at her. She turned and glared at him.

‘I haven’t had a cup of tea. I haven’t had my breakfast. I haven’t even had a shower. I barely had time for a pee and if you don’t start behaving yourself you are going to be so sorry.’

He bowed his head; he drew his bottom lip under his top one and sucked on it. This was going to need some careful handling; tact, charm… grovelling.

‘Yes ma’am. I apologise.’

She turned away and looked out of the window. Jonathon sighed heavily. He rummaged in the compartment in the side of the door.

‘Found some peppermints!’ he announced triumphantly. She glared at him, as if.

‘Don’t be cross with me, Bea,’ he begged. ‘I didn’t have any breakfast either. It wasn’t my fault I forgot to set the alarm. It was you wanted to......’

She turned swiftly and thrust a warning forefinger almost into his face. He jerked back. She looked meaningfully at Frank and back again at Jonathon. Frank might have heard! She wagged her forefinger at him once, twice, thrice as if he were a naughty child. That was private. He gave another sigh.

‘Yes ma’am,’ he said again.

She was going to take some mollifying. He delved about in the sweet bag and pulled out a wrapped peppermint. He offered it to her. She waved it away. He undid it and popped in it his mouth. He sucked noisily on it. She twisted almost full round in her seat and glared at him.

‘What?’ he asked quietly, almost petulantly. He could do nothing right and he was utterly miserable.

‘Haven’t you got some lines to learn?’ she reproved him sharply.

‘Oh, Bea, I don’t even know what scenes we’re doing!’ he protested. She turned away. He leaned forward.

‘Frank. Could we stop somewhere? We overslept this morning and Bea hasn’t even had a cuppa yet.’