Chapter 7

Alexandra was talking, during the first break in filming, to Mark Stevens, the actor playing Charles Brandon, Henry’s friend, when she heard laughter a little way off behind her. And in particular a certain, distinctive giggle. She turned towards the sound.

‘Oh, there’s Jonny.’ she observed and started towards him and Bea. Mark grabbed her wrist and held her back.

Leave them,’ he ordered. She glared at him.

‘I want to ask Jonny something....’

‘He’s on his break,’ said Mark.

‘It won’t take long.’ She tried again to pull free.

‘I said leave them. Jonny’s that rare animal who actually enjoys spending time with his wife.’

‘But she’s not, is she?’

‘She is to Jonny – he’d marry her in a shot. He’d marry her tomorrow if she said yes.’

‘Wife! She’s old enough to be his mother. His grandmother, more like.’

‘It’s none of your business. It’s no-one else’s business but theirs.’

‘She’s always hanging around him.’

‘For God’s sake, I told you. She’s his wife. And she may always be here, that’s the way Jonny wants it, but they don’t actually get to spend a lot of time together, on their own. Leave them alone, Alexandra.’

Jonny and Bea had walked off, hand in hand, chatting and laughing. Jonny’s eyes hadn’t left her face.

Alexandra pulled her wrist free. ‘I don’t know what he sees in her,’ she said spitefully. ‘Do you?’ she demanded of Mark. Mark was uncomfortable and he did not answer her.

‘No, come on. An incredible guy like that, with her. You’re pretty hot yourself – would you? Could you?’

‘She is a lovely, kind and gentle lady.’

‘That’s not what I asked you. Would you go to bed with her?’

‘Jonny’d take me apart.’ he laughed to try to defuse the situation. Whatever he said Alexandra Scotte might report back and then there would be hell to pay.

‘That’d be a no, then.’ Alexandra said with a sneer.

‘Whether I would or would not, is not the point. They love each other; anyone with half an eye can see that. Bea makes Jonny happy. I’ve never seen him as happy as he is with her. I envy him. A lot of guys envy him.

I don’t know what it is about her, but I tell you this if she can get and hold a fantastic looking, sexy, attractive guy like Jonny she is something else. She is something very special indeed. And you can’t bear it, can you?’ it was his turn to sneer at her. She looked at him in amazement.

‘You would, wouldn’t you?’ she gasped in disbelief.

He grinned; what the hell. ‘Like a shot.’ he assured her. Her mouth dropped open.

‘What is it? What has she got?’

Mark chuckled. ‘That’s just it. We’d all like to find out, but she only has eyes for Jonny.’ Alexandra shook her head.

‘It’s only human nature, Alex. We all want what we can’t have. It drives you nuts that Jonny isn’t interested. You could have virtually anyone and he’s oblivious so he’s the one you have got to get, partly just to prove that you can.

Jonny can have virtually any woman he chooses, believe me, he’s given it his best shot – Christ, the women he’s had; fantastic, gorgeous, young, sexy as all get out; and it was just wham, bam, thank you ma’am - loved ‘em.....well, fucked ‘em – left ‘em.