9~Daydream~9

A/N: I am SO sorry this took so long to update. I was away for five days to go to a camp and then I just lost motivation because that exhausted me lmao and that motivation took so long to come back and I really expected this to come out WAY sooner!

(Also I changed the name of this chapter because 'realization' doesn't fit)

ᴇꜱᴘʀᴇꜱꜱᴏ ᴄᴏᴏᴋɪᴇ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

Espresso Cookie shut his front door behind him, sighing. He removed his near-black coffee-colored dress coat and hung it on his coat hanger.

He stretched, now wearing a simple, white button-up. Walking up the stairs, he thought about how Madeleine wouldn't have to worry about dealing with his ex and smiled.

He went up to his study and sat down at his desk to continue working, but focus seemed to slip just out of reach.

Each time he could focus, his mind would slowly gravitate elsewhere. And it was always the same thought.

It kept straying to Madeleine, from his smile whilst on the verge of tears from not too long ago, to how he was finally free of that monster's grasp.

It kept bringing him a warm, fuzzy feeling.

But that's likely just because I'm happy for him. Who wouldn't be? Aside from his ex, of course...

Espresso gently slapped himself, clearing his mind.

Focus on your work! This paper is due this Thursday, and you're only halfway done!

He picked up his pencil again and continued to write. But, of course, five minutes later, he was distracted by his mind again, his hand propping up his chin.

Madeleine... The way he looked at me earlier when we were parting ways...

He furrowed his brow, facepalming.

"God dammit... Why won't he get out of my head?" Espresso mumbled, irritation in his voice.

Espresso pinched the bridge of his nose before deciding to go downstairs to his kitchen. He grabbed a glass and filled it with water, hoping to maybe clear his head by drinking something that wasn't coffee for once.

As the water slowly filled his cup, making small bubbles, Espresso tried to understand where the whole 'unable to stop thinking about Madeleine' came from.

It could be I miss him. But I saw him earlier today, so that can't be it... What if I'm subconsciously worried? It is possible, after all...

Or... Maybe I developed a-

Espresso jumped as water suddenly hit his hand. He groaned, pulling his overflowing cup away from the water dispenser on his fridge and turning towards the sink. Water splashed all over the floor as he did, and some got on him.

Not expecting the sudden splash of cold water, he jumped again, dropping the glass. It hit the floor and shattered, scattering all over the floor. The air quickly filled with an annoyed silence.

"Well, shit."

* * *

Espresso Cookie had finally finished cleaning up the glass and water. He put his vacuum away now that he was 100% certain he had gotten all of the glass.

He sighed, walking back to his study. He sat down at his desk and returned to work, having forgotten about the 'Can't-stop-thinking-about-Madeleine' issue from before.