Chapter 5 - Strait

I hastily take off my apron to grab my trusty saber. "Bandits!?" The sudden invasion leaves me fuming at the injustice of it all. With adrenaline filling my body, I do a speed vault over the counter and run up the second floor. "I won't let the bandits have their way! I'll protect my treasure, even if it kills me!"

Y/N's hollow voice echoes around my head once again. "I'm impressed by your spirit, Silk. You won't be bearing this burden all alone. Me and Hannah shall assist you."

My mouth turns into a confident smile, knowing that I have backup. "Grea-" 

Wait a minute. He's downstairs. Who's talking next to me? Is there anyone up here?

I glance around to check for any presence. No one is to be seen. The villagers all ran to the town center and it's hard to tell if anyone's still in my cafe. I let out a terrified scream as my brain catches up with the situation. This man is ubiquitous. I hear him from all directions. "Ghost!"

(ubiquitous: present, appearing, or found everywhere.)

His voice gets noticeably confused, "Really? Ghosts don't interact with you often, especially in this sea."

A gentle tap can be felt on my shoulder and I immediately freak out, snatch my saber and swipe it towards whoever, whatever is behind me. The person's body bends like paper, which makes me topple and fall on my buttocks.

"Be careful with that sword. You can actually hurt someone." He looks down at me and pulls me up gently.

"I was going to hurt you! That scared me senseless!" I turn around and look away. "I'm not prepared enough for this. First the mind-talking, and now you just appear like a spirit."

"I'm sorry. I understand your reaction to something way different from what you're used to. Can we focus on the matter at hand? I promise I'll explain things after we save your town." replied him as he sighs and gestures a pinky promise.

"Yes, the town!" My expression turns serious again and I am about to get downstairs, until... Hannah comes in the room, holding back a chuckle.

"I saw the entire thing! Your reaction was really funny!" giggled the brunette.

Y/N mouths, "Don't mind her." then turning at Hannah. "Come on, we have to apprehend the bandits. Can you use your power to form an air bridge directly to the mountains?"

She tries her best not to remember the funny conversation - except that it wasn't hilarious for me - and snaps her fingers. From my room's window, an arc bridge is barely visible, but it's enough to fit the three of us and take us straight to the enemies. 

I stand there blankly, staring at the ghost bridge. "You know what? That's normal, considering what I've just experienced."

Y/N stands in between us and explains the plan in detail. "With Hannah's bridge, we can catch the bandits by surprise. They'll reach your town in 10 minutes, but we can get to them first in 7 minutes."

"I'll head first. You give me the location, I'll scan for any problems, perhaps snipe them too. You guys can finish the rest and handle the close combat quarters." spoke Hannah, setting up her musket and aiming it.

Wow, they're so professional. Exactly like how I visualized marine officers. I have to be strong like them, for my treasure!

"Alright, I'll follow behind Hannah."

Y/N nods and has no objections. We proceed with the plan: Hannah taking the lead, Y/N is the rear guard and I stay in the middle. I can hear some of the villagers below pointing at us and shouting. I get embarrassed and try to hide my face. The mayor is in the crowd, also calling out to me. "Silk, don't be presumptuous! Let the professionals do their job!"