Chapter 3 - Confluence

That's a wrap. I exit as the area and proceed to head to Capra Docks. This time, each of my steps is relaxed due to the energy loss from the previous quarrel. "I wonder what kind of man will my new boss be? Vice Admiral Walt said he was laid-back, but it's clearer to meet face-to-face." I slowly slip into my daydream, and my body goes on with only my instincts. Who knows how long it has passed. Unfortunately, a hard surface puts an end to my thoughts by a knock to the face.

"Who's tryin' to make me mad as a wet hen!?"

Facing me was the Stygian Widow. I was so distracted with my reverie that I didn't pay attention to the road. My nose is slightly red after colliding with the ship's hull. Whatever helped me reach this place and not embarrass myself is doing God's work. Chalk it up to karma, I reckon.

That aside, I pretend as if nothing had happened. I tread slowly on the ladder in suspense as I'm about to meet my new leader. Vice Admiral Walt is the first one to speak up. "I can hear you, Hannah. Come up here!". The more I walk , the more I can see. I can see two figures not long after I reached the highest step. There is Mr. Walt and... Oh, rats!

I point at the young man smiling with his arms folded, "You're the fellow I met last Sunday!"

"I'm just as surprised as you are. Also, I have a name." stated the chap.

Vice Admiral Walt stands between us. He firmly taktes both of our arms and make us shake hands. "Hannah, this is Lieutenant Commander Y/N - the locals here know him as 'Son of the Sea'. Y/N, this is Lieutenant Hannah. She's the talented recruit from last year." Walt is very quick to pick up our reactions. "However, it seems that you both have met each other, haven't you?"

Y/N takes the initiative, "It was just a small accident."

The middle-aged marine rolls a blunt and leaves me and Y/N alone. "I must be off now. Give it a try, will you? You two might hit it off."

With his departure, there is an awkward silence between us for a few seconds, before I choose to get a head start. "So, we're a team now. What's more important, you're my boss. How should I address you, sir?"

The young man ponders the answer he'll give. "Boss or Sir is fine." He then catches a glimpse of my attire and the musket on my waist. "This is my first time seeing you in marine clothing. Interesting choice of firearms. You're a sniper, aren't you?"

"Yeah. As you already know, I was a farmerette." I display my musket in front of him. "This gun is my family heirloom. Ma' taught me how to shoot a gun in order to scare away predators, both human and non-human and protect livestock."

"Huh. We're actually on the same boat, no pun intended." While I grab my musket, he brings out his axe with peculiar design. "This weapon is my patrimony. I named it 'Leviathan'."

I flash a glance at him and offer my gun. "Wanna swap weapons temporarily? Just for the sake of it?"

"You sure? This thing is quite heavy." stated Y/N with a teasing smile.

I eagerly agree and hand the marine with my musket first. He takes it easily and raises the axe for me to grab. That's when I realized: he made it look so effortlessly, whereas I had difficulty keeping the weapon up. "Gah, I was a bit too big for my britches. You're right, this is heavy." I stumble slightly before getting my composure in check. Still, Leviathan feels like a weight. I make the decision to use my Devil Fruit abilities to help me carry it. The gravity from the axe doesn't affect me, now that I froze it in place. I breath out and let go, cracking my knuckles instead.

"Woah, how did you do that?" Y/N's eyes widen upon watching Leviathan becomes 'stuck'.

"I ate the Halt-Halt fruit. It's a Paramecia type."