Chapter 5: Run Away

We had spent about two weeks riding as far away as we could from the capital. After finding a decent sized wagon left for us by the King, we immediately took it. Despite the lack of horses to pull it, the wagon seemed to move on its own, as if the wind were propelling it.

The wagon itself had a dome over the back, providing shelter and a place to sleep. Though three of us meant that only two could sleep at a time. And since I didn't feel comfortable sleeping with a girl that close, I often took first shift to watch for an attack.

And yes, I know I slept with Alice in her bed, but that bed was huge! We didn't even bump each other in the night. If it was in a wagon, we would be rubbing each other all night in our sleep. D-Definitely not something I could handle.

I sat out on the small bench above where the horses would normally be, shivering a bit since it was cold out. I desperately wanted to go back and rest with the others, but that wasn't an option.

Meals were pretty basic, with Alice going out to find a boar to cook or some plants to eat. Ava helped us with cooking and preparing the food with magic. Meanwhile, I just sat there, feeling completely useless for every meal. No matter what, I was never allowed to be out of Alice or Ava's sight. They said it was to protect me, but it was getting old.

Suddenly, I heard the door to the dome open and I saw Ava step out, her hair a mess and no glasses. She had her cloak off, however she quickly put it back on after shivering.

Ava: "I-It's freezing out here, Agis. Come in, please"

Agis: "I'm okay, you two should get some more rest"

Ava: "Come on, I'm not buying it. You haven't slept in days"

Agis: "I slept for two days straight before, I'll be okay"

Ava: "That was two weeks ago"

Agis: "Still..."

Ava walked over and sat down next to me.

Ava: "Don't blame yourself..."

Agis: "Huh?"

Ava: "I know that look, you're blaming yourself for what happened to the King"

Agis: "Y...Yeah..."

Ava: "There was nothing you could do. None of us could've done anything to save him. But it's our mission to avenge him and take back the kingdom from Raiden"

Agis: "That may take years..."

Ava: "If it takes years, it takes years. We can't rush in blind"

Agis: "I know... but..."

Ava: "You feel guilty"

Agis: "I—"

Suddenly, I heard a sound close by, like the snapping of a twig.

Agis: "Did you hear that?"

Ava: "Y-Yes, what was that?"

Suddenly, Alice came out from the wagon.

Alice: "We're being followed. You two should get back inside the wagon. I'll handle it"

Agis: "B-But"

Suddenly, a figure landed on top of our wagon. We looked up to see a person in a long black cloak with a hood over their head. A shadow was protecting their identity. In their hands, were two large twin sickles.