Chapter One: Wind

Agis

It's been 10 years since Mother told me about the story of King Arthur. I'm now 15 years old, and work on our family's farm. Since we're peasants, I give all my money to mother since she can't work herself.

I woke up the one morning as I heard the sound of my mother making breakfast. This was a rare occurrence, since we almost never had enough money for breakfast. I quickly got dressed in my gray long sleeve shirt and my long black pants. I didn't own shoes, so I had to be barefoot. However I did have one thing of value to me, my cross. It was a holy cross that symbolized our lord and savior, and it was made of pure silver. I kept begging mother to let me sell it, but she said it was too important for something as trivial as money.

 I kept begging mother to let me sell it, but she said it was too important for something as trivial as money

I walked out of my room with a yawn and walked into the kitchen area. It wasn't much, a fire pit in the center of the room and a way down to the cellar where we kept any spare food we had. There was a small table in the corner of the room, with two wooden chairs.

Of course, if father was home, I didn't get to sit at the table. I sat on the cold hard ground as I ate my meal. However, thankfully, he wasn't home today.

My father worked as merchant, who would always go deeper into the kingdom to try and sell goods. However he never made much of a profit.

Mother set two small loaves of bread on the table, almost like biscuits.

Mom: "Go on, Agis, you need to eat"

After all these years of being peasants, mother never lost her smile and kind heart. She'd help the neighbors whenever she got the chance, even if it would inconvenience her.

Agis: "I'm not eating until you eat"

Mother smiled at me warmly and ran her hand through my hair.

Mother: "Thank you for caring, but you need it more than me"

Agis: "I'll eat one loaf, you get the other"

Mother: "Oh all right, I can't argue with that cute little face"

She pinched my cheek and wiggled it a little.

She sat down with me at the table and started eating. Mother's bread was the best thing in the world! It was always soft and warm, crispy on the outside and soft as silk on the inside. Every bite sent a warm feeling through my body.

Agis: "Thank you for the food, Mom"

Mom: "It was my pleasure, my growing boy needs his food"

Agis: "Oh! I managed to get a small job down by the creek. The man who owns the land wants me to help fix his fence"

Mom: "The creek? That's very far away"

Agis: "I know, but he's offering me two gold pieces!!"

Mom: "T-Two gold?!"