The Ban is Lifted

"Wolves? Do you mean werewolves?" Beatrix asked.

"I do. Haven't you noticed that the top student athletes here are almost entirely made up of them?"

Beatrix had. At the football games she'd sat through to watch Autumn's fearleading, the werewolves always dominated on the field.

Even Orion—who was the smallest werewolf she'd encountered—could rip a metal door off its hinges.

"Emulating werewolf traits will be your best defense to ward off vampires," the spirit said.

"And how do I do that?"

"You could try smelling like a werewolf."

"Ew?"

"But that will only work for a short amount of time. The vampires will learn what you're up to quickly."

Beatrix thought about Draculaura and Clawdeen's close friendship. Clawdeen's smell wasn't enough to deter Draculaura.

"Okay, so don't steal Orion's gym socks. Thank goodness. Any other options?" Beatrix asked. "Oh, and it should go without saying: no magic."

The spirit sighed. "If you really don't want to use witchcraft to protect yourself, just get bitten by a werewolf."

Beatrix paled. "Um, no. First of all, my aunts would kill me. Second, too much hair. Third, I don't want to permanently transform into a supernatural beast just because some vampire snobs are giving me a hard time."

"Suit yourself. Then the only option I have for you involves witchcraft. You must replicate a werewolf's strength."

"No!"

"Don't succumb to fear, Beatrix."

"La la la, not listening!" Beatrix clamped her hands over her ears. She didn't want to get involved in another one of the ghost's ploys.

Beatrix turned from the ghost only to find Greta, the ancient goblin lunch lady, watching her.

Beatrix took her hands off her ears and tried acting natural. "Oh, hi, Greta. I was just, uh, singing a song. It goes like..." Beatrix sang some awkward notes that vaguely resembled what she'd been hollering a second ago.

The goblin gave a gummy smile. "You young people sure love your music..."

Beatrix smiled back. Greta couldn't have come at a better time. The goblin's presence had made the ghost disappear.

While Greta prepared some condiments nearby, Beatrix picked the bag of haunt dogs off the floor and began arranging them on the counter, grateful to be rid of the prying poltergeist.

You need wolfsbane, a voice said.

Beatrix had spoken too soon.

The ghost reappeared and now hovered just above Beatrix's shoulder.

The ghost listed off a plethora of ingredients and instructions, her eerie voice whispering inside Beatrix's head:

You can safely replicate a werewolf's abilities if you consume cursed venom with wolfsbane leaves. The wolfsbane will prevent a full werewolf transformation from taking effect, and you'll receive supernatural strength and speed for a limited time.

The voice was speaking so quickly, Beatrix could hardly absorb what it was telling her.

Wolfsbane was an ingredient used by witch covens to ward off werewolves, but Beatrix had never thought of consuming the plant directly to counteract a werewolf transformation.

Beatrix directed her thoughts at the ghost: I can't get caught messing with magic again or I'm dead meat.

However, there was something about the spirit's earnestness that comforted Beatrix; like the ghost was looking out for her.

After all, the sleeping elixir experiment had taught her something: replicating a monster ability was a powerful tool, and this unconventional method of magic came much easier to Beatrix than "traditional" witchcraft did.

I'll think about it, Beatrix silently told the ghost.

I'll be there when you need me, the ghost replied, drifting up through the ceiling.

Beatrix could've sworn Greta's eyes flicked up to the ceiling too.

"You've got a clinger," Greta said as she sorted batchup and monstard packets.

"You can see her?"

Greta gave a slow nod. "That poltergeist is clinging to you."

"Clinging to me? Are you sure? I don't see her that often."

"You see what Spectra wants you to see," Greta said. "She's grown attached to you. Usually, she's elusive to others here."

Spectra, Beatrix repeated inwardly, pleased to finally have a name for the ghost haunting her.

"Do you know why Spectra is attached to me?" Beatrix asked.

Greta's old, creased eyes looked at Beatrix with pity.

"Many earthbound apparitions don't realize they are dead. They want to get close to a living person because it brings them comfort," Greta started.

Suddenly, Greta sprung forward and clutched Beatrix's hands in her knobbly claws.

Beatrix had no idea Greta could move that fast.

"But don't be fooled," Greta said in a hushed voice, like she didn't want to be overheard. "This poltergeist knows she's dead. Very aware of it." The goblin woman's sharp nails dug into Beatrix's palms. Beatrix winced, but Greta didn't take heed of her pain. "Self-aware spirits sometimes choose a companion, someone they want to vicariously live through. Spectra must miss the physical aspects of life... you bring her comfort..." Greta's gaze drifted, her thoughts somewhere else.

Beatrix pulled away.

"A clingy ghost is better than vengeful bloodsuckers," Beatrix said, rubbing her hand where the goblin's claws had almost punctured the skin.

Greta was dead serious. "Poltergeists are nothing but trouble."

Overhead, a speaker crackled, turning on for a school-wide announcement.

"Attention. As of today, the ban on students leaving school grounds has been lifted. Please exercise this restored privilege responsibly," Bloodgood's voice declared.

Scattered cheers from nearby classrooms echoed.

Beatrix's jaw dropped.

She couldn't understand why the ban was lifted. The school board trial concerning the nightclub incident hadn't happened yet, and Bram and Vilhelm's involvement with Gilda Goldstag's murder hadn't been confirmed.

There'd been no explanation for the sudden change.

Does that mean there's no threat anymore? The students here are safe now? Did the school board decide I told the truth, and apprehend the vampire boys?

For the first time in a while, Beatrix had a spark of hope that she could stay at Monster High.