Chapter 5: Heated Dealings

Somewhere a cricketot chirped as you stood there, arm outstretched challengingly at a confused and blinking Akari. Her hand ran through her hair as she gave you an utterly dumbfounded stare. Flushed, you pulled back and crossed your arms hoping she couldn't see your embarrassment over this whole debacle. The slow questioning tone of her voice as she spoke didn't do anything to ease the awkwardness of it all.

Akari: Wait why are we fighting all of a sudden?

You turned your head to the side and twirled a lock of your hair between your fingers as you meekly rambled out an explanation for while you were standing across from each other with a disappointed Meltan pouting on the ground.

Y/n: Um, it's just this silly tradition for one of the senior Galaxy Team trainers to challenge the newbies, keeps them from getting a big head. Not that I'm accusing you of being cocky, but someone was going to challenge you sometime and I never got to be the one to do it before, so I thought maybe this time I could be the one to knock on the rookie.

You poked your fingers together and while explaining, cheeks brightly glowing as you tried not to sound to embarrassed about your confession. You couldn't see it, but Akari was nodding along in realization as you described one of the Galaxy Team's favorite hazing ceremonies.

Y/n: I understand mows not the best—

Akari: Screw that I'm in, Cyndaquil I choose you!

With an excited overhead throw and a burst of light, Cyndaquil took to the field opposite Meltan with an exuberant cheer. Cyndaquil and Meltan locked eyes, Cyndaquil's flames erupting brightly while Meltan puffed itself back up to look intimidating.

Cyndaquil: Cyndaquil!

Meltan: Mel Meltan!

The battling mood quickly established itself as all prior awkwardness disappeared. The blood was now pumping as your eyes locked together in burning competition, metaphorical lightning crackling between you as Meltan and Cyndaquil mimicked your behavior. As the two mons prepared for battle, you and Akari nodded to each other.

Y/n: Count of three?

Akari: Sounds good.

Y/n: Allright, let's do this. 1. . .

Meltan stretched and bended, it's metal body getting less solid and more liquid as it prepared for some action.

Y/n: 2 . . .

Cyndaquil braced himself, getting down on all fours as his muscles tensed. Akari's leaned forward in anticipation, her first move on the tip of her tongue.

Y/n: 3, Meltan use Harden!

Akari: Cyndaquil use quick attack!

As soon as the commands were said, dust exploded behind Cyndaquil's as he rocketed forward leaving a blurred streak in his path. In the blink of an eye the fire type's head was tackling Meltan in the stomach area, sending ripples through the metal mon's body as it took a hefty blow. But as he felt the steel pokemon's semi solid body grow more rigid, cyndaquil looked up to see Meltan's sparking hexnut eye stared down at him.

Y/n: Now thunderwave!

Cyndaquil wasn't fast enough to pull away as a cone of electrical discharge hit him full frontal, knocking him away with tiny sparks arcing along his body but other wise unharmed.

Akari: Cyndaquil you okay?

Cyndaquil's: Cyn Cynda— errgh

Cyndaquil tried to stand up and answer his trainer, but was forced back to his knees as the static charge in his body paralyzed it's muscles. Feeling merciless you and Meltan wasted no time going in for the next round.