Midnight

Over the course of the evening, CinderAmity was having the time of her life. She danced, played games, shared stories and jokes, and even made new friends, all with the Princess at her side. Even Ghost was having a great time, playing and messing around with Stringbean and a few other palismen running around the ballroom. Soon enough, CinderAmity began to grow feelings of affection towards the Princess; she shared the emotion towards her. But she was having so much fun that CinderAmity had completely forgotten Eda's warning... and midnight was drawing nearer. The couple and their palismen soon made their way out of the bustling ballroom and into the castle gardens for a breath of fresh air. They took a seat on a stone bench under a tree.

Luz cleared her throat after a moment of awkward silence. "...Beautiful night, isn't it?"

CinderAmity looked up at the sky and smiled; the air was clear, the moon was shining, and the stars were out. "Yeah, it is." She twiddled her thumbs before noticing Ghost and Stringbean were lying near the tree and cuddling together. Luz noticed it too.

"Awww." They said in unison; they both thought it was adorable.

They shared a laugh, but then they felt their fingers brush up against each other. The two girls quickly pulled their hands away in fear and looked at each other in surprise as their faces turned bright red. They stared at one another with wide eyed expressions for a good minute or two, unsure of what to say or do next. After a moment, Luz anxiously scooted closer to CinderAmity.

"I've had a really amazing time tonight." She said.

"Me too." CinderAmity replied with a smile. "Then... maybe you could tell me why... we're so comfortable together."

Luz blinked. "Oh, that's an easy one... I have no idea."

They giggled.

"But if we're being honest, I didn't exactly expect you to come to my party tonight. But I was secretly hoping you would... and I'm really glad you did."

"What do you mean?"

Luz awkwardly rubbed the back of her neck. "Well, I just thought you'd be too cool for something like this."

CinderAmity blushed again and smiled sheepishly. "I'm not as cool as you think."

She smirked. "You know... it's kinda funny."

"What is?"

"We've spent the entire evening together, and I don't even know your name."

CinderAmity paused; she remembered she hadn't given the Princess her name, even when they first met. She feared she would be laughed at or made fun of if she told her; she looked away in embarrassment. "It's a silly name, you wouldn't like it."

Luz took her hand. "Hey, I'm sorry if I'm moving too fast. But I just want you to know that... I have no idea what my future holds, but it would be so cool if you were in it."

"...Really?"

CinderAmity scooted closer, almost nose to nose with the Princess.

"Because I feel the same, but about you." She said simply.

"You do?" Luz asked, sounding hopeful; she nodded. She then put a hand on CinderAmity's cheek and they leaned in closer, their lips almost touching. "So... could you finally tell me your name?"

"Sure. My name is..."

But before she could say anything else, the clock tower began to strike the hour. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was twelve o'clock.

"It's midnight?!" CinderAmity gasped in horror.

"Yeah? So what?" Luz answered.

She quickly stood up from the bench. "I'm sorry, but I have to go!"