At the Ball

In the Human Realm, Princess Luzura anxiously waited for the guests to arrive. She was wearing a dress in shades of black and gray with a jagged skirt resembling a tutu, a black jacket with purple accents, purple leggings, a pair of black mini boots, and a purple mask that covered half of her face. King approached her; he just wore a simple white vest and a red bowtie.

"Are you ready, Your Highness?" He asked.

"I don't know, buddy. I hope everything goes well tonight." She answered as she took a look at her surroundings. The ballroom was beautifully decorated just for the occasion; there were streamers and balloons in orange and black, paper ghosts, spiders, and skeletons hung from garlands, and lit jack-o-lanterns were scattered about while the band was practicing and a few servants were wandering around making sure everything was perfect. She swallowed nervously. "I'm not sure if it's just nerves or if I accidentally drank some milk, but something is making my stomach squirm."

"It's okay, Princess." Lilith chimed in; she wore a midnight blue dress with medium length sleeves, black gloves, and a feathered mask. "You did a great job putting everything together. It'll be great."

"Yes, mija. Everything will be fine." Camila said as she gave her daughter a kiss. She wore an aqua blue dress with a white mini sweater and matching white ballet flats.

"Hey, it's almost time." Vee said as she joined her adopted family. She was in her human disguise and wearing a pale green dress with teal accents to match her hair.

"Right." King said before making his way to the ballroom entrance. He looked out one of the windows and gasped. "They're coming! Everyone into position!" He gave a clap.

The staff quickly finished up what they were doing, the band got themselves ready to perform, and Luz and her family stood together on the other side of the ballroom just as the doors swung open. The band started to play a spooky, yet happy tune; the guests had already started pulling up to the palace outside. Luz watched as people, witch and demon and human, started trickling into the ballroom; some were dressed in formal attire while others wore costumes, makeup, and masks. She took a breath and scanned the crowd; she was happy to see a few familiar faces, but there was one face in particular she was searching for.

"You looking for someone?" Camila quietly asked.

"Huh? Oh, no." Luz lied, trying to hide her blush.

"Come on. King told me you met someone earlier this week." She put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "I'm sure she'll come."

"I hope so." She smirked as Stringbean rested on her shoulders and nuzzled her face.

Just as everyone was already inside, CinderAmity had finally arrived. Her Pegasus-drawn carriage had pulled up in front of the castle and as she stepped out, she stared in awe. She had never seen anything more beautiful, but she also felt a little anxious.

"Hey." Eda's voice said.

CinderAmity turned to see her godmother standing near the steps; she was casually leaning against the railing.

"As of right now, you're on your own." She said.

"You're not going in with me?" CinderAmity asked.

"Nah. I'm going in through the back entrance, but don't worry. I'll be here the whole time, although you might not be able to find me right away." She took out a feathered owl mask and smirked.

"But... I'm scared to go in by myself."

"Don't be. I got you to the ball, but the rest comes from you. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."

"Really?"

The Owl Lady nodded. "But remember, you gotta be out of there before the clock strikes twelve. So enjoy it while it lasts, Bossy Boots. Good luck." And with that, she winked and jogged off towards the side of the castle for another way in.