Chapter 24

Honestly, you didn't even register the feeling of the couch cushions whilst Donnie's passionate kisses distracted you. His soft lips and confident movements made your head fuzzy.

Only when the front door bursts open do you come-to.

You and Donnie look over to the now open doorway in a panic as two tall figures and one small figure come strolling into the room. Leo, Benjamin, and Maddie. Donnie quickly shuffles off of you a little, seeing that a child was accompanying the two adults. However, his hands remain on you, finding purchase on one of your thighs.

Leo and Benjamin waltz in, shoulder-to-shoulder and arm-over-arm as they seem to conclude an amusing story. What had you missed?

Leo and Ben both laugh, and even more confusing was the tiaras that adorned their heads. Once the two men relax, they look at you and Donnie, to which they seem to clam up a bit.

"Sorry, uh, a-are we interrupting something?" Ben asks, seeing you and Donnie a little tangled up together.

You scramble up from the couch, hair frizzy and face red. "N-No, nothing!" You clear your throat and adjust one of your socks with your other foot. "Wh-what are you and Maddie doing here?" You ask, directed towards Ben.

Ben grins and reaches towards you, patting the crumpled-up shoulder of your shirt back down as he speaks. "Thought we all could hang out for a while." He said it cheerily, but something in his expression made you feel like there was more. Maybe he didn't want to say it around his little sister, who was walking around the living area curiously; little hands holding a fairy wand and one of those expensive 'Pretty-Polly Doll's.

Finally, you turn to Leo, up until this point, you hadn't taken a good look at him. He looked tired, stressed even. The tiara he wore clumsily lopsided, along with the smile he gave you. His jacket was draped loosely over him, and his mask looked like it had paint or something on it.

You grin back a little, not failing to catch the way Leo looked you up and down, then glanced at Donnie. It looked like he was trying to discern something. He must have been suspicious of you and Donnie. Almost frantically, you smooth out your hair in an attempt to look like you hadn't been getting practically ravaged by his brother.

"Go ahead and sit you two, I gotta run a bath." Leo doesn't move much, but Ben excitedly strollers over to the couch and plops down beside Donnie, causing the soft-shell to shrink uncomfortably. Donnie once again curls up in his invisible bubble as he looks at Ben in momentary feigned joviality.

"Thanks, (Y/n)- oh hey- I wanted to apologize by the way: about a few days ago."

It takes a moment at first, but then you remember what he was referring to. "Oh, It's alright! No hard feelings, just promise not to do something that freaky again. Ben smiles brightly and crosses his heart with a firm nod. And just like that you feel the room lighten up. Even Donnie seemed to relax a bit, especially when Ben enthusiastically asked Donnie about his occupation and some of his projects, which Leo had told him about.

You smile brightly as you watch Donnie gesture to himself with an exaggerated hand, his expression one of pride. Meanwhile, Maddie climbs into her brother's lap and pretends to listen to Donnie's big words and complex terms. You were aware that she'd be repeating them for months out-of-context, the thought makes you chuckle.

A heavy sigh escapes you as you begin to shuffle towards the bathroom, but you wound up jumping when you feel a hand land carefully on your shoulder. You turn partially and are gently guided into the bathroom by the brother-in-blue. When the two of you enter the room with the porcelain throne, you turn to face him, as a confused look makes itself apparent on your face. Leo looks distraught all of a sudden as he unceremoniously shuts the bathroom door with his foot and looks at you. His eyes, afraid.