07 | Unpleasant Surprises

"You ready?" Ryder asked, walking into his mates childhood room as she packed up the last of her sneakers in their boxes. Cassie smiled as she shot up from where she had been crouching on the floor "Yup, ready." She answered, getting a nod in reply as the warrior grabbed her bags and carried them down.

Cassie stopped in front of her mother as Ryder went ahead to the car, "My baby.." her mother's voice came out as a whisper as she held her arms out for a hug, her eyes filling with pride and love as she fought unshed tears. Cassie was quick to run up to her mother, allowing herself to be pulled into the warm embrace of the crying woman.

"I'm so extremely proud of you." She whispered, stroking her fingers into the faded black of her only child's hair. Cassie buried her face deeper into her mother's shoulder, "Thanks mama." She whispered back, separating as she heard approaching footsteps.

She sniffed as she watched her mother wipe at the small amount of tears that had managed to escape, sharing a smile when their eyes met each other. "We'll be sure to protect her, even if it means giving our lives for hers." Both the she-wolves turned as the voice of their alpha sounded behind them.

Cassie's smile grew at her mates reassuring words, laughing as her mother pulled the alpha into a tight hug "You better, don't forget I know where you sleep." She threatened playfully as they pulled apart.

Damon grinned at the smaller woman, arching a brow in question, "Are you threatening your alpha right now?" He questioned, receiving a hard smack on the shoulder in reply "Oh hush, I practically helped raise you." She teased.

Damon laughed at the older woman's teasing, playfully squinting his eyes as the sound of the trunk slamming caught their attention. "Alright, that's everything." Ryder announced, making his way to where they had all been standing as he wiped the imaginary dust off his hands.

"I guess that means I made it just in time to say goodbye." Their eyes turned to the mystery voice, a big smile spreading across Cassie's face as her father came into view. She wasted no time in running up to the older male, crushing him in a hug as he laughed, picking her small frame off the ground and swinging her around as if she was still the same five year old princess from years ago; And in a way she was, and always would be.

He tightened their embrace and even as their spinning slowed to a halt, he kept her slightly above the ground and in his arms, "I'm gonna miss you honeybee." He sighed as she nuzzled her face into her fathers neck. "..I'm gonna miss you too." She whispered back.

So many emotions went through her mind as they separated and her father made his way to her mother, tenderly kissing the side of her head as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

Her mates had made their way to the car and she was almost there as well when she turned around just one more time, giving her parents one last smile as she climbed into the passenger's seat of the large black Escalade.

She let out a huge breath of air as she stared out the window at her parents loving gaze, only turning when she felt the familiar tingles of the mate bond dancing around her hand, "You ready?" Damon asked, eyes and voice full of concern.

Cassie smiled at the warm feeling that filled her chest at her mate's words, nodding as she gripped her hand around his, "Are you sure? You don't have to rush this, we have all the time in the world to be together." Ryder reassured, leaning in from the back row to meet her eyes.

"I'm sure." She answered, bringing with confidence as he gave her a heart-wrenching smile, there was definitely no confusion in why he was so popular. "Good because I was absolutely lying about not having to rush this, I want you with me 24/7." He groaned and kissed his way down her neck.

Cassie gasped before harshly pushing him and his head back, causing him to fall back into his seat with a laugh "Pervert.." she mumbled. "For you? Always." He replied, purring the last word as his brother started to pull away from the home of their mate's parents.

As they made it back to the pack house Cassie wasted no time in rushing the two wolves as they purposefully carried her bags at the rate of a tortoise at her complaining. "Hurry up." She whined as Ryder fumbled on the last stair. "Stop rushing, this shit is heavy; I mean what did you pack? A pile of bricks??" He questioned, exaggerating as he complained about the actually pretty light boxes.

"Move around." Will said, coming out of nowhere and swooping all the boxes away from his older brother. He ignored the deep growl released by the warrior as he made his way to their small mate, "M'Lady." He greeted, tilting an imaginary hat with two of his fingers.

She squinted her eyes with a playfully smile as she moved to the side for him to enter her new room, "My hero, I don't know how I can ever repay you." She joked back, following him in as he sat the stack of boxes down in an empty part of the already semi-crowded room.

He chuckled, latching his hands onto the sides of her waist as he turned to face her, "I can come up with a couple different ways." He whispered, leaning down so he was right against her ear. He licked at her earlobe, loving how she shivered at the small gesture.

"What Is it?" She questioned back, already breathless; He hummed as he leaned his head into the crook of her neck, inhaling her scent as he nuzzled against the spot his mark would go.

He sighed as he stopped his movements, "Don't tempt me Cass." He warned as she laughed at his reaction to her words. "Get out, I need to finish unpacking." She said between laughs, softly pushing his tall stature away from her smaller one.

"Don't you mean start?" He joked, raising his hands in surrender as he backed out of the room and away from her pointed glare. Once he was completely out of the room she took a small step forward, rolling her eyes as the beta wasted no time in quickly running away.

She shook her head at her childish mate before closing the door and turning around to face the mess she had created, "Well.." she mumbled, cracking both her hands and neck, "..Time to get to work, I guess."

Three hours later, Cassie was laid across her newly-made bed, heavily breathing into the air as she looked around her now fully unpacked and put together room. The walls to her side were a dark blood red while the other two were a bright white color that perfectly fit her style; She quietly admired the room, smiling at the realization that it may have purposefully been made that way for her by her mates.

After moments of silence Jace's face popped into her mind, he was the only one of her mates she hadn't seen today. She shot up from the comfort of her bed as she made her way down the long hall in search of her mates room.

As she got closer she noticed the door was cracked open and she could her the voice of a female coming from inside, her steps slowed as her heart throbbed in pain. Even before she opened the door it seemed like she already knew what was awaiting her eyes, and the sight was not pretty.