2 | Vulnerable

2 | Vulnerable
[Yesterday, 9:30 pm]

In her own flat, Hermione had been scanning her case files in her meager living room, occasionally sipping Butterbeer from her favorite mug. It was already in the middle of September, and the chilly, cold weather is now starting to take a bite at her. The heat from the fireplace, also constantly used as a Floo Network, did little to warm her up.

Malfoy, Lucius, the folder read. She opened it cautiously and stared at the infamous Death Eater's face, goosebumps creeping up on her shoulders. "Where are you, Lucius? Where are you three?"

Four months ago, she was tasked to set up monitoring wards on the Malfoy Manor. She reported to the head of the MLE that she had already done the job and will keep them posted if there were any movements, and it was a gargantuan risk. She hadn't set up the wards yet, up until now. She just couldn't. The agonizing memories of her being tortured and catcalled by Bellatrix Lestrange in that Manor was still as clear as crystal in her mind. From time to time, she looked at the really faint scar of the word "mudblood" on her right arm. Even if she couldn't make out the words, it was still there, like Harry's lightning scar was; and it was a constant reminder of her inferior social status in the Wizarding World.

It didn't really bother her anymore, being called a mudblood. In fact, it already had been a long time since someone called her one. She almost forgot the feeling. The only effect it did cause her was numbness.

She was still reviewing the Malfoy case files when someone knocked at her door.

She looked up from the folders, her eyebrows knitted. No one ever really came at her flat except for Harry and the Weasleys, and they usually came here by floo, but she figured that it was just a muggle mail guy. Once a month, someone would come at her flat to present her an envelope, and it is usually about the expenses of her flat, the monthly rent, that is.

"I'm coming!" She said, straightening her work clothes. When she opened the door, she was only met by the cold gust of wind. There was nobody there. She leaned out to check if a kid was just hiding behind the bush, pulling a prank at her (it happened once.) She started to close the door but stopped when she noticed a rolled parchment, secured with a knot, on her welcome doormat.

She picked it up and went inside.

Malfoys. Spotted at Godric's Hollow at 9 pm. Bring the Ministry.

It was all the parchment had said. Her instincts kicked in the second she read it. She picked up her wand from the coffee table in front of her, and brought nothing else but the parchment. She extinguished the orange flames of the fireplace with her wand, grabbed the floo powder, and stepping into the fireplace, she shouted loud and clear: "The Burrow!"

"Bloody hell, Hermione!" Ron jumped back in a scare. He and George had been playing wizard chess, and two of them stood up in confusion. "It's almost ten in the evening! What are you--"

"Harry? Where's Harry?" She said abruptly. She started moving up the stairs when George shouted with a snicker, "Take it easy, Hermione! Mum's already dozing off!"

"Harry's in the loo!" Ron muttered confusingly.

While she was running up the flight of stairs, she called out to him in a reply, "Get dressed, Ronald! And floo to the Ministry immediately! Get whoever aurors you can and get them to Godric's Hollow!"

Ron instantly must've realized that the Malfoys had already been seen. He didn't even protest when she ordered him (which he usually doesn't like ever since their first year.) He hastily got up, took his coat and flooed to the Ministry to inform the others.