𝙷𝚘𝚙 𝙻𝚞𝚌𝚔

A frog, carried by a large dragonfly, soared through the sky. "Aah! Help! Somebody help me!" He says, being taken away into the distortion world.

Anne showed everyone a video on her phone of her cat licking herself. "And this bad boy is my kitty Domino." She explains. "You guys would like her. She's got fire."

"She's so cute!" Y/n cooed.

"Ooh!" Sprig took the phone and showed it to Polly.

"Aw, she's so tiny!" Polly added. "I feel huge!"

"Hmm. I will set her free!" Sprig declared, hammer in hand. Anne took her phone back before it could be hit.

"You have issues." Y/n said. Anne was about to say something but the two smelled something sinister and shuddered.

"Ugh! What is that?" Anne asks.

"It smells horrible!" Y/n adds, pinching her nose.

"Did something crawl under the house and die?" Anne pinched her nose.

"Worse, guys, much worse. Hop Pop is cooking." Sprig whispered.

"Meh. Add some andouille, and even that can become gourmet."

"I understood very little of that!" Sprig said.

——-

"Brace yourselves." Sprig said, his hand on the door.

"Brace ourselves for wh-" Y/n was cut off by the door opening and visible stench blasting out of the doorway. Anne and Polly were on the ground and Sprig was blasted off; Y/n was still standing but fell over in shock.

Hop Pop cut up bugs and put them in the soup, then he tasted it. "What's the plan this year, Hop Pop? Poison the competition?" Sprig joked, popping up from under the counter.

"The plan is to win," the older frog began.

"Win?" Anne asked.

"The annual village potluck. Every year we frogs gather for a great contest. The family who brings the best-tasting dish is showered with love and copper coins. The family with the worst-tasting dish spends the night in... the shame cage!"

"Scary." Y/n deadpanned.

"And guess which family ends up there every year." Sprig said, making the three frogs sigh.

"Heck no! We're winning that competition this year!" Y/n declared. "With Anne's cooking finesse and my hunting expertise we'll cook up something special, right Anne?"

"If you think I'm gonna let my favorite froggy family end up in a cage, you've got another thing coming. I know we're not technically Plantars, but we can help." The bush-haired girl added. The frogs perked up.

"Anne, Y/n, we'd sure appreciate it." Sprig said.

"First—" Y/n walked up to the gross pot with green liquid bubbling. "What the hell is that in the pot? Skunk remains? Dead relative??" She covered her nose.

"No, silly. It's a traditional recipe from my family's cookbook. We've been using this baby since I was a pollywog." Hopediah explained, patting the book happily. The two girls looked at each other, then the pot, then back at each other and already knew what to say.

"Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. I think we found your problem, guys." Anne deduced, skimming the book and making everyone gasp. "Old things are dumb!"

"Oh, that makes sense." Polly chimed; Hop Pop wasn't convinced.

"It's all so clear now." Said Sprig.

"But we Plantars have always cooked these recipes. What would my great-gam-gam say?" Hop Pop asked, a painting of the old woman knitting was on the wall.