Target Acquired

IAN

We'd been walking for almost a day now and we were all exhausted. The Hatter hasn't let us stop in fear we're 'missing a chance to defeat'. All I can think about is Alice. The pain in her eyes, the sorrow in her voice, her demanding grip, her unfailing passion, it was all too much. With this on my mind, I regret ever coming. All I want is to be with her; safe and sound. I want to hold her in my arms, tell her I love her, kiss her till we can't breathe, caress every part of her body. Let her know that I will never leave her. I want to have children that have her same blue eyes and golden hair. I want us all to live in a small cottage away from the chaos of Wonderland. All I can picture when I think of her now is her tear streaked face. Again, I regret leaving her. What if she becomes sick? What if she runs away and is caught by the Red Queen? I grit my teeth. I can't think like that. I picture her again, this time at the river. Her clothes are sticking to her revealing all of her hidden curves. The water sparkles as it drips down her face. Her big blue eyes are full of love. I remember when she'd sneak out of the castle to meet Emily, Isaac, and I. I remember when we found an old rebel hideout and fixed it up so that we could stay there together whenever we wanted. I remember when I had to leave her. When I had to send her away, in hopes that she would be safe from the war. I remember crying all night missing her by my side. I remember wishing I could've gone with her. I remember the nights we'd spend under the willow telling each other we loved one another, caressing each other, holding each other, becoming one. I remember when I picked a ring. I remember when the Red Queen burnt my family alive in my home while I was out with Alice. When we returned to my home to find only ashes and bones, she stayed with me. She never left my side. She comforted me, loved me, and swore that she'd kill the Red Queen with her own hands.

"Ian, you need to focus," Emily whispered, breaking my thoughts of Alice. "I know you're thinking about her. I know you miss her. I feel the same way about Isaac. But if we want to make it back to them alive, you need to have your full attention on the task at hand. Do you understand?" I nod,

"Yes, sergeant." Emily nodded her head in response. I watch as she jogs back to the front of the group alongside Hatter. Emily has always been so strong; mentally and physically. She was one of the only people who truly tried to comfort me after I sent Alice away to safety. I think of Emily as a sister. I never wanted to see her on the front lines. I look around to the rest of my troop; all of my closest friends stand before me. Here we go marching into battle without a second thought. To lose any of these people would be a knife to the heart. I focus all my energy towards making it to the castle where I will kill the Red Queen.

ALICE

It is complete chaos at camp. People are running left and right, packing tents, filling coolers, and following the commands of Isaac.

"Go get Rose." Isaac orders me. I quickly rush to her tent. When I unzip the tent, Rose is lying on her side on her sleeping bag, her back facing me. I can tell she is crying by the way her shoulders shake.

"I'm, uh, sorry to disturb you, Rose, but we need to leave camp." Rose didn't budge, so I entered the tent,

"It's alright, Rose. We're gonna be okay." I assure her. Finally she rolls over to reveal her enormous stomach.

"You're pregnant." I suck in a breath, frozen in place. How did I not notice it before? But I guess, before, it wouldn't have mattered to me nearly as much.

"Hatter is off at war, and I'm here helplessly carrying our baby while my sister has her mind set to kill us both. What if they don't come back?"

"Of course they'll come back. They love us too much to die at the hands of the Red Queen." This seems to momentarily pacify Rose. Again, I prod, "We need to leave right now.. The Red Queen's troops are on their way." Rose nods her head and slowly stands up. She places a hand on my shoulder for balance, and her other hand on her lower back.