CHAPTER SIX

The prince and I were getting closer than ever before, but Nefertari arrived... Now she wants to marry him!

"That's right, I'm here to wed the prince." Nefertari said.

I had been getting so close to the prince I completely forgot about Nefertari! The correct history is that Prince Userma does marry her, so I will have to let it happen.

The prince looks at me, and I can see uncertainty in his eyes.

Maybe I should convey something to him with a look. 

I lock eyes with Prince Userma telling him that it's okay to marry Nefertari, and I can tell by his slight nod that he understands what I'm saying to him.

He turns to Nefertari, approaches her, and kisses her hand. "Forgive my shock, My Lady. I hadn't anticipated you arriving so soon." Prince Userma said to Nefertari.

"Does that mean you have done no preparation for our wedding?" Nefertari madly said to the Prince.

I feel my blood begin to boil. How dare she speak to the prince like this? 

"I will have the palace staff begin preparations immediately." The Prince said.

"And how long will those preparations take?" Nefertari asked to the Prince.

I see the prince grit his teeth. "No more than a week, My Lady." The Prince said to Nefertari.

Nefertari nods. "That will be sufficient." She said.

****

In the days that follow, Nefertari moves in, and the palace is bustling with preparations for the big day.

I try to spend more quality time with Prince Userma, but Nefertari keeps disrupting me. Before I know it, it's the morning of the wedding.

I can't believe Prince Userma is marrying Nefertari today. I know that's how history is supposed to go, but... I've formed such a connection with him that I don't know how I feel about it anymore.

The sound of my door opening breaks me out of my thoughts.

"Good morning, Miss Nefari!" 

I look at the door who greeted me and I saw Tiola. "Tiola! Wow.. You look beautiful!"

Tiola's cheeks blush. "Thank you, Miss! I'm not so sure that I do, but I'll take the compliment nonetheless. But forgot little me! I've come to dress YOU for the occasion, and I have just the selection for you!"

"Oh, yes, of course. Thank you, Tiola." I said to her in a sad tone.

Tiola takes a couple of cautious steps toward me. "What's the matter, Miss?" Tiola asked to me.

"I'm upset about the prince marrying Nefertari." I said to her.

Tiola wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly. "Of course, you are, Miss. How could I not realize this?"

"Do you think it's wrong for me to be upset, Tiola? I'm only his concubine, after all." I said to Tiola.

"Miss Nefari, you're not 'only' his concubine. You're so much more than that to him. I can tell by the way that he looks at you and by the way he talks about you." Tiola said to e.

"But what if he has no more use for me now? What if he... forgets about me?" I asked to Tiola.

"I honestly cannot see that happening, Miss. But there are things we can do to make sure that doesn't happen-- Like dressing you up in the most stunning outfit today so he can't take his eyes off you!"