Chapter 24 - Skin

—-Nikolai's POV—-

The moment they stepped on board, a chorus of cheers erupted from the crew, who had anxiously awaited their return. Hugs, laughter, and toasts filled the air as old friends were reunited.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in shades of orange and pink, Nikolai gathered his crew together for a grand bonfire on the beach. Stories of their exploits were shared, accompanied by hearty laughter and the clinking of tankards. The group reveled in the freedom and camaraderie that only the open sea could provide.

After a few hours, Nikolai looked across the fire, his gaze resting on Mara. She sat with Dogan on a log, and he was showing her a new map that they had bought that evening. Revealing all kinds of new islands and legends.

Her chin was in her hand as she listened. Fully engaged in the conversation. Nikolai's lips turned upwards into a small smile. She baffled him.

—-Mara's POV—-

-Later-

With their spirits high, Nikolai and Mara stole away to the captain's private quarters. Mara had almost forgotten how incredible Nikolai's room was. She had been too worried about the man who slept in it to pay attention to all of the maps, and trinkets collected from distant lands. But she did remember the large, ornate bed. Nikolai had entered the room before while she said goodnight to the crew, and all of the candles around the room, and small silver platter of food on the desk, gave her the information she needed to know what he had been doing.

The room spoke of the captain's adventurous spirit and love for the sea. She remembered falling asleep on that bed, and the feeling of those blankets. They had wrapped around her with the safety and warmth she felt from being in Nikolai's arms themselves.

She softly caressed the base of the bedframe. Admiring all of his notes that were scattered everywhere. She turned around, and caught the eye of Nikolai, he was leaned against the door. He looked completely at ease.

"Stay." He spoke, his voice low. His eyes seemed to fill with fire, melting her into the floorboards.

"Okay." She whispered, watching as he closed the door, never breaking their eye contact. "Should I grab a new nightgown from the other room?" She said, a small gulp following her question. He approached her slowly.

"You won't be needing it." Nikolai whispered, his left hand slowly lifting to stroke the side of her face. His tan skin rough, but gentle. Tension entered the room, an unspoken power causing the space between them to catch fire. Soon his large hands were burning into her sides, and they were locked in a passionate embrace.

"What shall I sleep in then?" She whispered; Nikolai's lips extremely close to hers.

"Sleep in my bed, tangled in my sheets, and in my arms." He replied, his warm breath on her lips. "It will look lovely on you, wouldn't you agree?"

She breathed heavily, licking her lips. All she could do was nod in response, knowing that there was nothing that could stop what was to come. They were two magnets, pulled together by a force that couldn't be interrupted.

Her cheeks turned red thinking about how she would be waking up in the morning, naked, wound around the man she loved. That he would see all of her tonight, and she would see all of him.

Slowly Nikolai leaned in, and their lips met, it was a painfully slow kiss causing the entire room to burst into flames around them.

Kissing her more fervently, as he turned her around and pushed her down gently until she sat on the edge of the bed.