Chapter 20 - Saved

---Mara's POV---

"I will be back in an hour. And because of your funny little escape attempt this morning, I'm going to lock you in." The man said, taking his keys out of his pocket. "Clean up this mess. I expect the floors to gleam when I return. We leave for the island tomorrow." He finished, giving her an expectant look before closing and locking the door behind him.

As soon as he disappeared from the view of the window, she tore off the clothes from her head and face and ran her fingers through her hair in frustration.

Tomorrow. So little time. She needed to either escape or get word to Nikolai. Because if they left the trading post, she wasn't sure if he'd ever find her again. It was a miracle that he had found her here when he did. After a few moments of waiting, she ran to the front door. Just to make sure it was indeed locked. Trying the window beside it as well. No luck.

She gathered up her skirts and ran across the shop, darting into the back room, and looking around. There was a small window above the toilet. But she wasn't sure if she would fit. Standing on the toilet lid she slid it open and looked out. It looked over the alleyway, and from what she could see, there was no one in sight.

After a moment of deliberation, she slid her arms through the window, and sucked in her chest as she tried to get her breasts over the windowsill. It was going to be so difficult, but it might work. After a few pushes, her torso was sticking out of the window, and she was now pulling her hips through. She groaned and gritted her teeth against the pain. A small scream of desperation ripping through her lips.

--- Henrik's POV---

"What's the plan?" Henrik asked, as he followed Nikolai down the street. Both men walked very quickly, until they stopped a shop or two before the Map store.

"I'm going to go inside. You wait out here, keep an eye out and try not to look suspicious." Henrik nodded, turning around and looking over the street. Nikolai walked slowly to the door, and gave it a push, but it didn't open. It appeared to be locked. He moved swiftly to the window and peered inside. Tapping the glass and he strained to see through it.

"It's locked, let's go around back, I'll take the right you take the left." Nikolai instructed. Henrik nodded before sprinting down the small alleyway behind him. There were trash cans, and boxes everywhere. A mangy cat sat upon a windowsill above him.

As he came to the end of the alley way, he looked right and left. He didn't see Nikolai, but he did see someone else. They appeared to be halfway out of a window. He pulled his knife out of his boot and walked slowly forward. But as he got closer, the figure froze.

"Mara!" Henrik cheered, running to her side. Lowering his voice after realizing he had come across as a bit loud, tucking his knife back into his boot. "Are you alright?"

"Henrik!" She whispered. "Oh, I am so relieved to see you. I'll be alright once we get out of here. Can you help me?"

He nodded and grabbed hold of her waist, pulling at her body. She appeared to be stuck. They heard a loud crash from the left and froze looking in that direction before looking at each other again. Now quickening their efforts. More crashes followed along with noises of men yelling.

"Where is Nikolai?" Mara asked as Henrik put his foot against the wall to gain more leverage.

"If I were to put money on it, I would say down there where the noise is coming from." He answered, as he continued to pull. The veins in his forehead looked as if they were about to pop.

Finally, she broke loose, and Henrik wrapped his arms around her. Helping her out until her feet touched the ground. Both breathing heavily, they stepped towards each other and fell into a tight embrace.

"I've been so worried about you." Henrik said, giving her one more squeeze before letting go. She had been his friend the past few weeks, and he was so relieved to see she was alright. He grabbed his knife once more and then grabbed her hand, and they ran towards the commotion.

---Mara's POV---

When they reached the corner, Mara stayed behind the wall, and Henrik bolted down the alleyway. She peaked out from behind the brick wall and saw that Nikolai was in a fist fight with two other gentlemen. She recognized them as too of the members of the group that had taken her. The leader and the second in command.

Nikolai was in a choke hold with one of the men, while the other prepared to send a blow to his stomach. But just before he could send the punch, Henrik slugged the man across the face. Knocking him out cold. His body fell heavily into a pile of boxes. Henrik shook his hand off and hissed in pain. He looked at Mara and mouthed the word 'ow'.

"Henrik." Nikolai said, his voice strained as his throat was being squeezed even tighter.

"Oh right!" Henrik finally said, noticing Nikolai's position hadn't changed. Quickly Henrik kicked the man's knees in, causing both him and Nikolai to fall to the ground. The noise of horses running began to enter their ears as the police approached. Nikolai swung his elbow back and knocked the breath out of the man. Giving Nikolai enough room to break from and pull his gun from his belt. Holding it in front of the man's face.

"Where is she?" Nikolai yelled through his teeth. Henrik grabbed Nikolai's arm. Nikolai's body was stiff as a board, and he didn't move even with Henrik's attempt.

"Don't do anything rash. I know where she is. Come on, let's go before the police arrive." Henrik reasoned as he looked down the street to see the horses making their way through the crowds of people.

Nikolai looked up and then back down at the man. Putting his gun back into his belt, and then swiftly punching the man in the face. He groaned, rolling onto his side, holding his face.

"You broke my nose!" He yelled, before pushing himself up and scurrying away. "You'll regret that."

Henrik pulled at Nikolai's arm, and they took off down the alley again.

"They'll be back, now that they know we are here for her. We've lost the element of surprise." Nikolai said, out of breath. "Where is she?" He added, their boots crunching against the gravel as they ran. Soon they approached the corner of the building and Henrik motioned down at me. He looked rather proud of himself. And there I sat, crouched behind a large barrel.

I launched up and pushed myself away from the wall, wrapping my arms around Nikolai's neck. He was astonished to see me waiting there, causing him to stumble back. But soon his arms were around me, his face tucked into my neck as he crushed my body against his chest. I cried into his shoulder and held the back of his head. Our breathing heavy against each other, relief washing over me.

"Guys, this is sweet, but we need to go." Henrik said quickly, as he pushed us, going deeper into the alleyway. We reluctantly broke apart, interlocking our hands at the same time. And then we ran.