Chapter 23 - The Sea

--- Nikolai's POV---

Mara shifted in his arms, pulling Nikolai out of the light sleep he had fallen into. Soft light streamed through the cracks in the walls, the smell of warm earth surrounding them. He squinted at first, looking around in confusion. But once he had been reminded of where they were and why, he let his head fall back onto the hay.

Their embrace had endured the entire night, with Mara curled up in his arms, her legs intertwined with his.

Even though his rest had been short, he had never felt so at peace. Laying with her, tangled together.

His gaze softened as he looked upon her, and his heart burned. She had told him that she loved him. Had he made that up in his mind? Or had that really happened?

He studied her features silently, watching the rise and fall of her chest as she took in sleepy breaths. He thought of when she had spent the night in his bed, and he in his chair. Remembering how much he wished to lay beside her. His skin tingling with desire. And now here she lay.

Her face was still rather dirty, but Nikolai wasn't bothered by it. But he would make sure she got cleaned up soon, and he would see to it that she had a beautiful clean dress to wear. He captured a piece of hair between his fingers, feeling the smooth golden strand pressed against his rough skin.

She began to stir, and Nikolai held perfectly still. Watching as she slowly opened her eyes, then as she softly rubbed her face before looking up at him.

"Good morning." He whispered, giving her a small smile.

"Morning." She replied, pressing her face back onto his chest. He chuckled softly.

"We should probably get going." He spoke after another moment had passed. "Not that I'm not enjoying this, but I haven't eaten in 2 days. And you are beginning to look delicious." He said, snarling into her ear and pretending to take a bite of her neck. She squealed, pushing herself out of his grasp, a big smile across her lips.

"Oh good! You're both awake." Henrik said, leaning against the divider. "Took you long enough." He laughed, giving Nikolai a wink.

Nikolai rolled his eyes and held his hand out for Henrik to help him up. Giving him a firm embrace when he was back on his feet.

"Good to see you're alive too." Nikolai joked, slapping him on the back as he made his way for the door. Henrik and Mara hot on his heels.

As they walked deeper into the town, the tantalizing aroma of freshly baked bread and simmering stews filled the air, making their stomachs rumble with anticipation.

Nikolai guided his companions through the bustling streets, their worn-out boots echoing on the cobblestones. They soon came across a cozy tavern called The Hungry Griffin, known for its hearty meals and warm hospitality. Inside, the tavern buzzed with lively conversations as patrons indulged in flavorful dishes and raised mugs of frothy ale. The trio found an empty table near the hearth.

A friendly tavernkeeper, approached their table with a warm smile. She listened attentively as Nikolai explained their need for a satisfying meal, while handing her a few coins. After a few moments she returned to the table with part of a freshly roasted boar served with wild mushrooms and a side of crispy potatoes.

"Oh, thank the saints." Nikolai mumbled as his mouth began watering at the mere smell of the savory feast. They savored each succulent bite, their taste buds dancing with delight as the flavors exploded in their mouths. Each of them looking at each other, and chuckling as they enjoyed the meal. Laughter and camaraderie filled the tavern, blending with the clinking of glasses and the comforting crackle of the hearth.