Chapter 8 - Over Board

--- Nikolai's POV ---

"Captain!" Henrik screamed, holding Nikolai's arm as the ship tilted on its side into the sea. The storm had overtaken them. The waves larger than he'd ever seen them. The rain beat down, and the waves crashed onto the deck over and over again.

Henrik had his legs wrapped around the railing on the side of the ship, holding Nikolai's body weight with his hands, as he struggled to hang on. Everything was so slippery; he couldn't grab hold of anything.

Nikolai could hear Dogan yelling something, but his words were swallowed up in the whistling of the wind. he was losing grip, and with one final wave, he fell. Dropping into the ocean, being embraced into the deep grey sea. Silence enveloping his world as he was pushed far under the water.

Loose cargo falling with him, scattering around the water. He tried to swim back up the surface, but the waves beat down on him, and then a dark shadow covered his vision, a box had fallen on top of him, and everything went black.

He gasped.

"Nikolai, what's wrong?" A voice called to him from above. Soft hands touching his hair. His eyes opened and focused onto her face. He had fallen asleep on her lap.  His head lay on her thigh, his arms crossed over his chest. The sun shining lightly over them. After their unpredictable night, they had taken the morning to lay in the sun before assessing the damage done last night.

This was torture, having the same memory play again and again in his mind every time he closed his eyes.

"It seemed like you were having a bad dream." Mara added.

"It's nothing." He spoke, brushing the topic away. Pushing himself up and running his fingers through his hair.

"If you say so." She replied. She pulled her knees up and lightly hugged them. Her skin slightly flushed from the sun. She caught his gaze." "What are you looking at?"

He laughed. "What did you put in those oranges? You look better and better every time I look at you. Are you sure you aren't a Heartrender as well?"

"I haven't given you anything." She laughed. His breath catching as he was once again lost in the oceans of her eyes. "It's not my fault that the man who fell at my doorstep has a terrible aching look in his eyes." She laughed.

"That is because you are incredibly valuable." He stated simply, before giving her a genuine smile.

"Wow!" She laughed. "Tell me does this actually work?"

"Always." He winked. Then their attention was ripped away, as something called out in the distance.

"Captain!"

"Sturmhond!"

He pulled away, looking up. When he didn't see anything, He stood up. Walking over to the ledge that looked over the majority of the island. The long pale green grass swaying in the wind. He saw The Hummingbird docked at the harbor. Her beautiful white sails were ripped in some places, but she looked to be alright.

Henrik and Dogan were climbing the hillside, looking for him. He took a step to run to them, but then looked behind him for Mara. But the place she lay was empty. He furrowed his brow.

But then turned again to make sure they didn't leave without knowing they had found him, running down the hillside calling after them.

-------------------------------

After a joyous reunion, and a brief exchange of our adventures apart, He had them ready the ship to leave before high noon. As he made the long trek back up to the light house.

Once at the top of the hill, he saw Mara, she was standing at the edge of her gate, watching him.

"Are you-" She began to ask.

"I am." He replied, opening the gate and standing before her. He reached for her hand. Taking a much-needed breath when she didn't pull away.

"You should come with me." He said simply. Her eyes shot up, holding his gaze.

"I-I don't know," She shook her head. "I would be no help to you on a ship. I would be completely out of my place..." She finished pulling her hand away.

"You would not be out of place." He said softly. She didn't respond, she just looked over my shoulder. "Come on! A life of adventure! Danger! Thrilling tales!"

"But what if someone finds out?" She blinked up at me. "What about your crew? My home? Is this too rushed?"

"Darling, I don't think you get it." He said, lightly tapping the side of her temple. "I'm offering to show you the world, for free might I add." He said, pulling away. "Please," He begged. "Come. If you don't like it, or realize you can't stand the sight of me..." He trailed off. "I'll bring you back."

She looked into my eyes for a moment, studying me. After a few minutes, she took a deep breath and spoke up.

"If you try and sell me, I'll make it my personal mission to make your life insufferable." She said, raising her eyebrows. Trying to look serious, and scary, but it didn't work.

"I'm already insufferable." He grinned widely.