There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (5)

It all seemed like a dream, but I knew that it wasn't. I wasn't asleep on the plane anymore; I was actually seeing him now. He had been in my dreams so many times, but this time he was actually standing before me, just like he had done so many times years before.

I wished that it was a dream, because I hadn't ever planned what I would do if I ever saw him again. I thought that I would never see him again, so I never thought about it. But now he was here, in front of me, and I had no idea what I was supposed to say or do.

I kept telling myself that it wasn't him and that my eyes had to be deceiving me, or that I was finally going crazy. All of Jesse's teasing at finally driven me insane, and now I was crazy and hallucinating. But I was sure that I was only thinking that because I didn't want him to really be there. I didn't want him to be in the doorway. I didn't want it to be him that stood before me.

"Long time no see, Jordy! You've grown up so much..."

... It was him!

I blinked, not even knowing what to do anymore, my mind going completely blank as I only stared at him like I was in some kind of trance, which it kind of felt like I was. The room behind me went deadly silent, and no one said a single word. The girls understood why, so they kept quiet, and the serious looks on their faces must have kept the boys quiet as well.

"Surprise," Jesse said lazily from behind me, sounding amused and like he didn't care at all. I could just tell he was smirking, since he always smirked when it came to making fun of me and torturing me. Why did he have to be such a jerk? He knew how I felt... He was the reason why everything went downhill!

I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I couldn't find my voice; all I could do was stare at him. He was the counselor? Why, out of every person on the planet, was he the counselor? And out of every camp on the planet, this was the one that he was working at!

Dallas Berg, my old best friend that had broken my heart so many years ago, was standing right in front of me, smiling brightly, like everything that had happened between us hadn't happened. And to him, I was sure that nothing had happened. To him, I was just a childhood friend, a little sister. I was sure that he thought that I didn't even care when he ditched me at his prom. But I did care. I was only a freshman, and he was a senior. I was so excited when he had asked me, and my heart was totally shattered.

Jesse knew about how much I had liked Dallas, how much I even loved him. The girls knew, and Jesse's stupid friend might have even known. Everyone had found out that I liked him because of Jesse, who had overheard me telling Lexi that I loved Dallas. But Jesse didn't tell everyone that I loved Dallas, he only told them that I liked him, which I didn't understand. Why didn't Jesse just go the extra mile and embarrass me even more? If he told Dallas that I loved him, I would have been even more embarrassed.

But I realized that I wasn't in love with Dallas, after he had graduated and everything. My mother had told me that he tried to say goodbye to me before he left for college, wherever that was, but I refused to speak or see him. So I had no idea where he went after he left.

I did like Dallas, I had liked him so much, but I didn't love him. I was only fourteen when I had said that, and I was stupid and immature. I had let myself be sucked into his charm and let myself get heartbroken. I wasn't in love with him, even though I had been hoping that he was in love with me when we were younger.

Was this supposed to make me happy? Because it definitely wasn't. I hadn't seen him since the night of the prom, and I thought that I would never see him again. I didn't know where he was going for college, and I deleted his number after I had gotten a new phone with a new number over the summer break.