025

Jennifer sat at the bar, swinging her legs forward and backwards while sipping her Dr Pepper. Tomorrow she had her match, Quater finals. She only had to win four more to get through and that was this set alone. She had a slight wish that someone would knock Benny out for her or that if she was knocked out it wouldn't be the end of the world as she wasn't a huge fan of having to play him again.

But if they have to, they will. Sure it wouldn't be ideal but that was how things are. She saw the small phone beside the wall and thought for a second before hopping up and walking over.

Benny watched her, not in a creepy way. In a curious way, in the way that he wanted so badly to know more about her. So he could predict her moves in their game of chess, so he could guess what she was going to do next. But nothing, because he couldn't see past the businesswoman who wore giant black sunglasses.

Not a thing.

He saw her lean against the wall, bringing the phone to her ear. She had always done that, that was comforting to him as it reminded him that she was in fact the same woman he used to love. It was Jennifer. Of course she was but, it was hard for him to believe that she could change so much in just a year.

A smile plastered on her face as Cleo answered the phone. "Who is this?" Cleo asked.

"Good question," Jennifer smiled as she moved her spare hand to her back,  seperating it from the wall.

"Jennifer? What on earth brings you to call me at this time?"

"What do you mean? It's three in the afternoon,"

"Ah, of course. It's three in the morning here,"

"Here?"

"Yes, Im in Beijing,"

"How fancy, what tales you over there?"

"It's a very long story. You know..." she trailed "Benny called me yesterday,"

"Mhm," Jennifer nodded.

"Said you were doing the tournaments with him,"

"Hardly with him, he just happens to be here," Jennifer shrugged, the thought of him calling and telling Cleo made her smile more than she was before.

"Yeah, he was talking something about chess and minds and moves that didn't make sense,"

"I have no idea what your going on about, Cleo. But he sounds like he's out of his mind, looks it too,"

"Oh he was, after you left he would call me every day to ask how you were. I've never seen him so worried. But then I moved and I didn't give him my number. God knows who he went to next,"

"Why on earth did he do that?"

"Scared you would... you know,"

"Ah, right," Jennifer nodded.

"You drove him insane at one point, then he completely buried himself into them black and white checkers you call a game,"

"Hm... Well I must get going. I hace a drink to finish,"

"Call me soon, and for the love of God... don't talk to Benny, he'll just be calling me again and remotely, I can't take it,"

"I'll try not too," Jennifer laughed.

"Goodbye then,"

"Goodbye," Benny heard Jennifer say with a smile on her face before she hung the phone up retreating back to her stool. On the way she glanced around the bar, taking in the scenery before a pair of eyes locked with hers. They were dark and brown, plain at first glance but this wasn't her first glance.

She looked away quickly, bringing the hair from behind her ear to the front. Covering the side of her face.

———
New York Hall; 01:31 pm
———

Jennifer circled her name quickly before shaking the man's hand and standing up. "Your a very talented young woman, I don't believe I know you," the man said as he looked at her.

"Jennifer Martinez, here in tribute to my brother Grandmaster Stanley," she explained.

"Thought I recognised the name Martinez. Thank you, it was a pleasure playing you. Normally I loose to Watts, seeing you've taken my place," he said glancing up at the board. Jennifer followed his gaze seeing two names scribbled down in chalk.

"Right," she nodded looking back at the man. "Thank you," she said as he walked off. She headed towards the board. She was taking in the side of the name by side.

B. Watts V J. Martinez

"Benny Watts," she scoffed, a small smile on her face before she headed back to her hotel. She got inside, kicking her heels off and hanging her coat up. Before she stepped onto a letter, she looked down seeing a letter with her name scribbled onto it messily.

She bent down picking it up before opening it.

Jennifer,
                 The hotel bar, 7:30 pm, bring a board.
                                            ~Watts

She furrowed her brows while she thought about this offer. The two did have unresolved feelings, there were still things she wanted to ask Benny or to know. The way they left things wasn't... great but she assumed that time had healed whatever had happened. Maybe it hadn't for Benny.

She really wasn't sure if she wanted to go. She didn't know if she wanted to speak to him, she didn't know if she wanted to hear the things he had to say to her. Especially one day before their final chess tournament. What would she do? Was he demanding she is there? Was he asking?

Benny sat in the hotel bar, at 7:25 pm. Waiting patiently. He expected her to come, she wasn't one to leave people waiting he knew that. She wasn't one to... not turn up, for Benny. She'll be here he told himself.

She will be here, and like clockwork as the clock hand moved to seven-thirty. The door to the bar opened...