024

"Benny Watts," Benny said as he watched the man scribble down his name at the top of the paper.

"Rating?" The man asked, glancing up.

"three-thousands, seven hundred and sixty,"

"Impressive,"

"I know," He replied after being handed the piece of paper and walking quickly into the chess hall. There were about forty middle-aged men all talking and walking slowly around the hall, all coming to silence as the head walked in, revealing the matchmaking. Benny walked over looking through it all quickly not seeing much out of the ordinary only to see him playing a tournament against 'J. Walter'.

He sat down looking at the man opposing him for a second before he clicked his clock. The game began... or so he thought until someone walked into the hall. Wearing an elegant long white leather coat with a belt around her waist. Her hair was long and pin-straight except for the two front strands that fell around her large black sunglasses.

The woman nodded politely. "My apologises," She said, before walking towards the board. Her large white boot echoed through the quiet hall before she sat down on a chair behind Benny. Now, the game began.

Benny won in twenty-three moved, Jennifer in twenty-two. Benny didn't know yet that this woman was Jennifer and didn't find out for a while. Jennifer on the other hand saw 'B. Watts' was on the board and immediately knew he was there but didn't have the effort to find him in the hall full of men.

After the first matches were over, the remainder went to go and have lunch. Jennifer 2walked through town, she hadn't been over here in so long. She was always on the other side of town, the last time she was over here was when she was picking up her things from Benny's for the final time.

She had, to be honest, she had missed this side of the town greatly, missed all the little restaurants that lined the left-hand side and all the shops that lined the opposite and the constant echo of jazz music in the background. She noticed a small cafe and decided to take her business there. She sat inside ordering a small sandwich and coffee.

She pulled a couple of papers from her handbag and began to look through them signing and reading as she did. There were still papers going through for a casino in the high streets of London. Due to the fact, it was so far away and it was so much investment there were many, many papers.

Benny watched the woman from across the cafe. He was so interested in her, she seemed so busy, and she didn't seem like a chess player at all. She always had black sunglasses covering her eyes, and part of her face. Her hair was always in front of her ears, hiding even more of her face. She had a bunch of papers and a pen in her hand.

He knew not to let himself look at her for too long so he turned his gaze away, pushing her from his thoughts. He thought about who he'll be up against next, who will lose to him next. Soon enough, his questions were answered as he looked through the names for the next tournaments... Until one caught his eye.

He stared at it for a long time

He stared at it for a long time. She didn't do tournaments, why was she here? Where was she? He hadn't seen her yet. His mind ran with question after question. "Martinez," He repeated shaking his head slowly in confusion.

"Yes, Watts?" A woman replied, he looked down at the woman. It was the same one from the cafe, her eyes still covered. She turned her gaze from the board to look up at him.

"Sorry I-" He glanced back up at the board looking at it carefully. "Must've gotten the wrong person," He decided. I mean, Martinez wasn't the rarest name in the world and it could've just been a coincidence.

"Did you?" She questioned looking at him.

"I thought it was an old friend,"

"Really? What was her name?" She asked, raising her eyebrows but Benny didn't notice this.

"Uh- Jennifer," He replied.

"Yes, Benny?" She answered pulling her sunglasses and revealing her brown eyes. It was her, she was really here. They hadn't seen each other in at least a year and now here they stood.

"Jennifer?" He breathed.

"Glad you remember my name," She pulled her sunglasses up once more and turned to the board.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well, what do you think?"

"You said you wouldn't do tournaments,"

"She said she wouldn't," She corrected, this correction made no sense to Benny yet he let her continue. "Changed my mind," She shrugged before walking off leaving Benny dumbfounded. She had just made a move in their mental chess game, preparing something that he couldn't get his head around.

It was weird seeing her, hearing her voice again after such a long time. He had so many questions but no way to ask them or gain answers. He wanted to know what she had been doing, and where she had been, but chances are he would never find them out. Chances are he would never know what she had been doing, and where she had been. But then it occurred to him.

Chances were something he took.