Chapter 3: Corny Chat Up Lines

Chapter 3: Corny chat up lines. 

That, my friends, is how I ended up with a one-way ticket to my aunt's. To pass the time, I spent the entire flight swiping through old photos and feeling a sense of nostalgia when I came across a memory that was surprisingly happy. A majority of my gallery was taken up by a single star who stole the show, my not-so-little Golden Retriever, Rodger. Like me, without his consent, his destination had already been chosen. Sarah almost hated him as much as she detested me. I will never forget the day she 'accidentally' left the back gate open. Although both originating from the canine species, Rodger understood loyalty and waited patiently by the front door until I returned home from school.

Sadly, a part of me was happy that I wasn't the only one who had been discarded.

A nudge to my arm from the passenger next to me brought me out of my thoughts. With burdened thoughts, I looked around the plane with new eyes. A majority of the seats were full of couples and families. Coincidently, I had been placed next to a family of three who laughed and joked freely with one another. The father would occasionally brush my arm by accident when trying to avoid his daughter's grabby hands. He would laugh and offer me a half-hearted apology to which I would smile and tell him 'it's fine'.

And I would be- fine, that is.

I mean- does it matter that I have only met my aunt once?

It was exactly six months ago, two weeks before Christmas when Sarah threw her annual Christmas gathering. For the first time in three years, she had decided to invite her sister. To my delight, my name was not on the end of the attendee's lips. I was free from the stare's, the whispers and wasn't approached for any 'stern words'. The presence of June had eliminated that.

She wasn't what I expected which was bizarre because I, myself, didn't know what to expect. From where I sat on the couch, back straight, legs folded, I watched as June was let through the front door, a brilliant smile gracing her lips as she threw her arms wide and shouted, "My fam, what is up, y'all?"

For the first time in what felt like forever, my stomach filled with hope. Hope that somebody held an extra lifejacket in this ocean of insufferable, shallow beings.

The memory of Aunt June helped to dull my fear and I came to the conclusion that worrying about my future would be pointless. Like always, I will take each day as it comes.

As confirmation about my new outlook on my future, I check my phone for any messages. Before heading towards the airport, I made one last stop. Although I would never let him know, Taylor had been my light in the dark. I felt it was only right that I visited him before disappearing without a trace. A part of me wondered if Taylor would be relieved. I mean, who would want to chase around a reckless teenager with issues? Without realizing it, my knocks against the old wooden door became faster from desperation.

After a couple of minutes of frantic knocking and trying the doorbell that I knew didn't work, I stopped and slumped down on the porch step. Leaning to the side, I pull out a folded piece of paper from the back of my jean pockets, Taylor's name scrawled across the front. Sighing, I hold it up in front of me, admiring how it looked against the fading sun.

With the letter clutched tightly in my grasp, I had watched the sunset. The situation was so pitiful, I almost expected a man with a violin to appear from behind the trash can.

When the cab I had called rolled to a stop, I sighed heavily, gave the letter a quick kiss as I posted it through the letterbox. Once in the cab, I promised myself I would not turn around. My promise was broken the moment we turned out of Taylors street as coming from the opposite direction was a police car. I catch a glimpse of Taylor talking animatedly to someone on hands-free. I turn in time to see him turn onto his street.