16. Wet, dangerous, and pretty

Come morning as the group continues in to the thicker forest a thick mist is rising up from the ground, leaving the surrounding plants full of water droplets. Walking through the forest Alex's fur was getting quite wet and heavy as they were pushing through the plants and bushes. As they travelled further the sun started shining through the much taller canopy just a bit more, shedding just a bit more light and warmth down on to ground. Throughout the darker forest they walked past a lot of large snakes and reptiles sitting on the branches of the trees. They spotted several different species of monkey's swinging through the trees above them, occasionally stopping to look and shout at them before moving on. Finally around the time they estimated to be just after noon the trees started thinning out, enough that there was enough light hitting the ground for more plant life. Looking around butterflies were fluttering through the air several hummingbirds buzzing around. Flowers were everywhere, all the colours you could think of and more, covering the ground and the side of the hills, climbing up along the trees. Fruits and flowers up high in the trees with tropical birds having a feast. A gentle breeze rustling the leaves, a peaceful paradise compared to the jungle they had travelled through before. Per May's suggestion they they sat down for their lunch break enjoying the sweet smells.

Moving on as the party is about to reach the end of the flowery paradise one of the trees suddenly starts moving very unnaturally. Ripping its roots up out of the ground it stands up on them using them as legs. Its branches with the large leaves that were previously swaying in the wind now stared to move and start swinging and creating stronger winds. The group stops dead in their tracks right as they notice it. "*Don't tell me that's another monster*" Carl says as he pulls his sword out from his belt. Alex had checked the area before their lunch with the skill; magic sense and had felt nothing from any of the trees. However now this tree is full of mana, with an aura similar to the mantis from yesterday, "*Definitely a monster guys*" they inform the others, "*Must have some sort of stealth type skill, I couldn't detect its magic at all before.*" Elvan readies his staff and prepares to fire off magic, "*I'll try fire!*", and off flies a fireball heading directly for the tree. Before it can even come close to hitting its target the tree swiftly creates a tunnel of wind around the fireball using its big leaves, extinguishing it. May quickly fires an arrow from the side, but its knocked to the side in a similar fashion. Alex splits themselves in two, "*Seems like projectiles won't work if it can control the wind. Time for swords and claws!*" They say looking at Carl, who seems more than ready to take on the tree." *I'll try and think of something!*" Elvan shouts after them as they run towards the tree, winds picking up speeds around them. Carl runs in from the front, the two Alex's from the sides, wolf on the left and tiger on the right. As the tree starts wriggling its roots and moving towards Carl, digging up the flower and plants in its way, Elvan makes Earth spikes form in between its roots temporarily stopping it in its tracks. Alex runs in from both sides but is pushed away by strong gusts of wind as the tree swings its leaves. Carl is also hindered by the tree, but is able to stay standing in one spot as the tree continuously swings its leaves creating strong winds pushing back against him. Alex tries attacking two at a time again from two other angles, but is pushed back again by more leaves bending down from the crown of the tree. "***Guess I have to move faster than it can move to stop me***",
"*Keep it occupied! I'll try using superspeed!*" Alex shouts to the others. Just then May fires off one of Alex's heavier arrows, with help from Elvan's wind magic they are able to accelerate it and protect it from the winds enough that it hits the tree and sticks. It doesn't look like the arrow did much damage to the tree itself, but at least it created a hole in its trunk. Both Alex's activate the Special skill; super speed at the same time, slowing things down around them. One of them runs around to the front of the tree and uses claw slash on the area where the arrow is embedded, while the other aims to hit one of its branches off limiting its wind creating ability. Jumping away from the tree time speeds up again and they see the results of their attacks. The trunk of the tree still seems too sturdy and strong for any slashes to take effect. However the attack aimed at one of the branches managed to almost slice through it entirely, "***just need a bit more strength then.***" Alex's run back towards Elvan and may combining back to one wolf as they get there, "*I'll try and get rid of as many branches as possible! You try burn it down after!*" Alex's blur runs back to the tree as they activate superspeed for the second time. Running around the tree several times Alex aims over a dozen claw slashes at the branches with leaves in what amounts to just under two seconds of time. Sliding away from the tree as time speed up for them again, exhausted from the super speed attacks they see that they were successful in cutting off all but one branch. Carl, who is now freed form the wind pushing him back jumps up against the base of the tree, cutting off the last of the branches, and hurries away before Elvan's massive fireball hits the tree right in the centre. Creaking as the tree panics from the fire the winds have died down letting all the leaves and flower petals float back down to the ground. Just as the tree is about to fall over in defeat Elvan clears up the fire to avoid damaging the rest of the forest.

[Exp gained from kill. Slime is now at lvl 15]

"*Good work everyone*" Elvan says as he and May walk up to the dead tree trunk that was the monster, "*Same deal as yesterday Alex, all yours.*" Alex trudges over to the burnt trunk and absorbs it leaving nothing behind but an indent in the plants and flowers.

[Skills aquired; air manipulation. Note: Effects of magic cystal will be applied during the next evolution.]

"*Seems I got its ability to manipulate air*" Alex says demonstrating by creating a mini tornado of dust on the ground, letting it disappear after a few seconds, "*Will have to test it more later, I'm beat.*" Alex comes over to May who crouches down and scratches them behind the ear, "*Proud of you little guy, I'll carry you for the rest of today once we set out.*" She says pulling the little bag for Alex to sit in to her front. Soon after the others rested as well they set off again with Alex travelling in their little bag as a slime, just as they drift off to sleep May looks down at them with a smile.

Still half asleep Alex drops out the camping supplies when the three decided to set up camp under a set of trees, promptly falling back asleep afterwards. As Alex starts waking up in the morning they come to see the same smile looking down on them that they fell asleep to the previous day. Finding themselves sitting in May's lap as Carl and Elvan take out food for breakfast, Alex stretches a bit before springing back in to a round slime. Holding on to their sides May hugs Alex, "*Morning sleepy, you were out for quite some time there*." The four of them eat their breakfast together and Alex then stores their stuff away again as they continue deeper in to the forest. Since when Alex fell asleep yesterday the forest went back to being quite dark, tall trees closely packed together blocking out the sunlight.

Starting to get closer to evening Alex realises that they haven't come across any creatures in some time, the sounds from birds and insects became quieter as well. Being suspicious of the silence Alex checks the surroundings with magic sense. Upon first glance looking around at the surroundings nothing stands out as being out of place. Taking a closer look in the distance they are able to feel a very faint trace of magic flowing through the ground, "*Hey guys, I think I found something.*" Carl, leading the group stops and turns around, "*what's up?*". Pointing off to the right of where the group was heading Alex says "*I can sense a very faint trail of magic leading off in to the jungle there.*" Elvan steps closer to Alex and looks off in the direction they are pointing, "*My magic sight can't see a thing, you sure its there?*" Alex nods, "*Yeah, it's like a faint flow of magic, like a little trickle, though not from any living creature.*" May puts her hand on Alex's head, "*Seems interesting that only you can see it, lets check it out.*" This time Alex takes the lead in the front following the faint flow of magic deeper in to the forest. Gradually the magic becomes stronger making it easier to see and follow, combining with smaller branches coming from the sides. After 30 or so minutes of following the trail they finally found what it leads to. The group finds themselves standing on the edge of a massive clearing, with in it, the ruins of an ancient civilization.