Chapter 9

Zee comes back home and is surprised to see Nunew sitting at the small dining table, looking down at his hands. He thought Nunew would still be sleeping or at least still be in his bedroom.

"Hey, you're up?" Zee asks as he closes the door behind him. He notices that the table is empty and is curious whether Nunew had already taken the breakfast he made. "Have you eaten the breakfast yet?"

Nunew looks up at Zee as he strides over toward him. "I...I'm..." He stutters but then another voice cuts him.

"Explain" Max speaks, appearing out of shadows like he's some kind of a magician, almost giving Zee a heart attack. Zee whirls his head around toward the direction of the voice and see his best friend leaning against the bedroom door frame with his arms crossed over his chest. He's wearing all black so it was easy for him to blend in with the shadows.

"Jesus! Max!" Zee put his hand up to his chest but then realizing the hell he's currently in after a mere seconds. He looks at Nunew, back to Max and back to Nunew. "Oh shit"

"That's right." Max slightly pushes himself off from the leaning position and approaches his friend closer, arms still crossed. "Shit's about to get real now if you don't start explaining to me what the fuck is going on here Zee. Why is the missing kid here in your house and don't give me the he's-my-long-lost-relative shit because I've known you since we were toddlers and I know you don't have relatives." Max says, giving death glares at Zee as he speaks and if looks could kill Zee would've been dead by now. "Spill it. Everything."

Zee takes in a deep breath. He knows this day would come but he isn't prepared for it yet. He's not ready to unveil his true self to the only friend he has. Explaining why Nunew is at his house meaning letting Max know everything about him, including him being an assassin.

"You might wanna take a seat first." Zee suggests.

"Fine." Max agrees as he pulls out a chair and sitted himself at the end side of the table.

Zee lets out a loud breath before continuing. "Long story short, someone asked me to kill Nunew."

"What the..." Max's face crumples into even more confusion like a crumpled piece of paper. "Asked? Like, what, asking someone to order food for you? What is this shit? No Zee gimme the detail. What is really going on here?"

Zee sighs, accepting the fact that Max probably gonna hate him after all this. "I'm actually an assassin working for an organisation. And I've been doing this even before we were reunited again a few years back. But!" Zee is quick to add in as Max's eyes starts to bulge out of his skull hearing the word assassin. "Before you judge me. Yes I kill people but only those who don't deserve to live. And it wasn't their order to have me kill Nunew."

Hearing that, Max just can't sit still anymore. He gets up from his chair and starts to pace around the table. He rakes his fingers through his hair while still trying to digest the new shocking information from his best friend.

"Someone threatened me to hurt you if I don't do as they say." Zee continues. "Thus, the reason you were hospitalised. You were drugged and almost got overdosed. So I did what they wanted but not exactly what they wanted. Instead of killing Nunew, I decided to kidnap him and keep him here to make them think that he's really dead. But I'm only keeping him here until I find out who's behind all this."

"Wait wait wait so let me get this straight." Max stops pacing and hold up both his palms out. "You only kill those who are evil to their bones. And Nunew is still alive because he's not?"

"I'm not entirely sure because they didn't give me enough details or whatsoever but," Zee let his gaze falls on Nunew who's still sitting silently, watching his captor and his lecturer shooting questions and answers at each other. "I know just by looking at him, at his eyes."

Nunew directs his gaze at Zee upon hearing it and they locked eye contact but only for a fleeting second.

"You do know this is a lot for me to take in right Zee? My best friend that I thought I knew is actually going around killing people? Wow!" Max laughs at his own foolishness.

"Bad people." Zee corrects him.

"Yeah but still!" Max shakes his head before turning his attention to Nunew. "Now I wanna hear from Nunew's side." Nunew perks up at the mention of his name. "You agree with all these? You literally trust your life in a stranger's hand?"

"Rather than being murdered then why not?"Nunew shrugs. "Well I was taken here by force so of course I didn't agree to any of this at first." Nunew answers as he fidgets with his fingers. "But after being here for a few days and listening to his explanation, I guess it's safer for me to be here. And like he said, it's not gonna be forever."

Max rests both his hands at the edge of the table and looks down as he slowly nods, still trying his best to comprehend everything he just heard. The three of them goes silence for a good few minutes before Zee speaks again.

"Look I get it if you don't wanna see me anymore Max. But please don't let a single soul know that Nunew is still alive. He needs to stay here while I'm trying to find who's the culprit. For everyone's sake." Another painful silence sips in between them, tension cutting through. Max still thinking, Nunew waiting and Zee accepting the fate that he's gonna lose his friend once again. He's not ready to say goodbye to Max if he decides to leave but if it's for his own good then he's willing to bear.

"Bullshit." Max slaps his palms slightly on the table then walks over toward Zee and holds both of his shoulder. "You're like a brother to me what makes you think I'm just gonna walk out on you, you dickhead?"

A small relieved smile creeps up onto Zee lips upon hearing it. He thanks his lucky stars that he's blessed with a friend like Max. He would've told him sooner if he knew Max is willing to stay even after knowing his true colors. 

"In a way I'm already apart of this." Max continues, letting go of Zee's shoulder. "They gonna still use me to threaten you whether I'm with you or not so what's the point of leaving anyway." He chuckles. "Now tell me what can I do to help?" Max folds up the sleeves of his black shirt as he looks back and forth from Zee to Nunew, being ready as hell to hop into this dangerous world he never thought existed.