Chapter 2

"Nhu hurry up! You gonna be late!" Nunew's mom howls for him to hustle from downstairs. He went to sleep later than usual last night, finishing up the last chapter of the book he's reading and so he faces the consequences of not hearing the deafening sound of his alarm clock.

"Coming Mama!" He responds as he looks in the mirror one last time, fix his hair then grab his bagpack and scurries off downstairs. He passes the dining room and is about to cross the threshold of the main door when his mom comes and pulls him back inside, ushering him towards the dining table.

"Mama—"

"I know you're in a hurry but breakfast is a must, honey." Mama cuts him off. "And I made your favourite croissant"

"Croissant?" His face lights up at the mention of his favourite food and speed up his pace towards the eight-seated table. He takes one croissant and bites it, savouring the flavour with his eyes closed.

"Ummph, so good" He sighs. "Mama's croissant is always the best." His mom chuckles at his behaviour, shaking her head as she gently pats his shoulder. On his second bite, realisation hits him that he needs to hustle. He took another bite and scurries off towards the door again, passing by the end of the stairs and not being aware of his surroundings. "I have to go now Mama."

"Nunew, your—"

Nunew turns his head back when his mom calls at the same time James comes down the stairs and they collide into each other like bumper cars.

"Oi" Nunew cries, bouncing back a few steps when James doesn't even budge.

"Watch where you're going" James hisses solemnly.

"Sorry phi. I didn't see you coming." Nunew apologises as he rubs his upper arm that bumped against James stern shoulder earlier.

"James" His mom sneers at him, looking dead into his eyes giving some kind of a warning.

"What?"

"When are you gonna stop being mean to him. He's your brother."

"Step-brother" James corrects his mother shortly. "Whatever, I'm late"

"James—James!"

Mama breathes out an exasperated sighs as she massages her temple. Nunew sees her distress so he pulls her hands off her head and cups her face in his hands.

"Mama it's okay na. He has the right to be mad. I wasn't looking where I was going." Nunew gives a comforting smile trying to assure his mom that it's really okay when the truth is it hurts him as much. But he hates seeing his mom being all stressed out because of him so he keeps his feelings bottled up inside.

"It's been years, Nhu. Why can't he accept the fact that he has a brother now"

"Well we don't know he's probably trying, Ma. Let's give him more time, I believe he'll accept me eventually." Nunew assures. He then pulls her face and kisses the frown lines between her eyebrows, ceasing her distraught away. "Don't be stress na Mama. Wrinkles don't suit you"

A soft smile escapes her mouth at Nunew's joke as she peels his hands from her face and hold them in hers.

"But we both know I still look pretty with or without it" And they both ends up breaking into a laugh. "Now go. You're gonna be late." She smiles, booping his nose with her finger.

Nunew gasps, eyes wide open as he looks at his watch. "Oh shoot. Class. I'll get going now. Bye Mama!" He pulls his mom for a quick embrace, gets into the backseat of his driver's car and leaves in a haste.

...............

"Just put it on my table," one of Net's lecturer, Mark, directs as Net struggles with the weight of files he's carrying, carefully putting it where he's told. Net was on his way to have his breakfast at the cafeteria when he saw Mark was struggling with the files so he lend a helping hand.