Epilogue

A year before

Luna was so beautiful, and I could tell her that every day. Everything about her made me smile. Her bubbly nature, her intelligence, and her cute stature.

I'd known her since my second year in this university. Our second year. We met during the orientation week for the first year students. She had been one of the organizers, and I in turn, had gone with my best friend Zuri to check it out. I didn't see Luna again until the  semester was almost finished. It was at the school library and we had both been studying for our finals. We went for lunch right after that, and that was how our friendship began. I enjoyed hanging out with her- it was usually moments filled with fun and laughter. We had different conversations ranging from silly to serious ones, and months into our friendship- eight months precisely- I started falling for her. 

"I really like you, Luna," I'd told her before biting my lower lip, hoping she would feel the same way for me.

"I like you, too," she replied, and I passed her a small smile, leaning slowly into her. I wanted to kiss her so badly.

"Wait," I retracted just in time to see her swallow. "Bailey..."

"Yeah?" I tucked a few strands of hair behind my ear.

"I like you, too... but, I don't know, I'm not exactly looking to be in a relationship. I'm not ready."

"Oh," I nodded swiftly. "Oh, okay. Um, I mean, I can wait till you're ready."

Her eyes went soft and she let out a small breath, "That's really sweet."

We were quiet for a short while before she cleared her throat, "Can I ask for something, though?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"I'm really attracted to you and I love hanging out with you a lot," she licked her lower lip, "and I know this may be unconventional, but would you like to keep things casual?"

"Casual? What do you mean?"

"You're gonna make me say it?" Her lips twisted into a wide smile and that caused me to laugh, "No, I genuinely just don't know what you're talking about!"

"Would you like to be friends with benefits?"

"I'd like to be in a committed relationship with you, Luna," I responded, a bit surprised at her directness.

"I- I just don't think I have the ability to be in a committed relationship right now. And I feel like this could bring us even closer together."

"An actual relationship could do that," I said.

Her shoulders drooped and she ran her fingers through her hair, "Never mind. I'm sorry I asked, actually. I don't want this to cause any rift between us."

I thought about what she said.

I really liked Luna, and what I wanted was to be I a relationship with her. But at the same time, she wasn't ready for that. What she wanted was something I could give to her, but what did that mean? That we could see other people? I didn't want that. I sighed inwardly. If I were to agree to it, though, that would mean I get to spend some time with her. I wouldn't mind that-

"No, no. Yeah," I shook my head. "Yeah, I agree to it. We- we can give it a try."

"Really? I don't want you to do something you don't want to do."

"I want it," I told her more confidently.