2

"Can I have one iced caramel macchiato, please?" I leaned closer to the open driver's side window over Cody's lap, "oh, and a vanilla muffin."

"You're the most unhealthy person I know," he huffed out, earning a small slap from me against his chest.

"A vanilla muffin... Will that be all?"

"Make that two vanilla muffins," Cody swiftly added before starting his car again.

"Alright. Drive on up."

I returned to sit properly on the passenger's seat as he began driving toward the window.

I sat quietly, observing him as he paid and chatted with the barista quickly, before receiving our order and handing them all to me.

"Here's your coffee," I handed him his simple black coffee once he began driving towards Uni.

"Thanks," he brought it up to his lips to take a small sip, eyes focused on the road ahead.

I gathered myself and diverted my gaze from him. I placed his muffin into an empty cup holder, beside one which he'd placed his coffee down in, before sipping my iced macchiato.

"How are you not fat when you drink shit like that daily?" He teased, and I rolled my eyes with a gentle laugh.

"Not daily. Only when I stay over at yours. See what a bad influence you are?" I replied sassily, breaking a piece of my muffin and stuffing it into my mouth.

Cody glanced at me from the corner of his eyes discreetly, "you're the bad influence here, Sof. When have you ever seen me eating a muffin?"

"My birthday... second grade..." I began reminiscently, and he chuckled.

"You're so funny," he nudged me gently, tone laced with pure sarcasm. My smile widened and heart skipped a quick beat, feeling warm all over.

"You know Steph's throwing a small party this Friday at ours," I began after a moment, while he plugged in the aux cord and pressed shuffle on his playlist; which he had also abled me to edit and add songs to, through my Spotify account.

"Yeah, Jordan was telling me about it yesterday," Cody replied, now focused again on the road.

The sun was just rising, and I wondered why any lectures could be held this early. It really couldn't be good for the mental healths of young adults.

"Are you coming?" I asked him, trying not to let it show in my voice how much I really did want for him to be there.

"Depends," he shrugged absentmindedly.

"On what?" I wondered with a confused smile forming across my lips, "have you suddenly found a life?"

He shook his head at me with a laugh, "depends on if I have a date Friday night."

My heart halted for a moment, his words almost causing me to choke on my macchiato. What a way to die that would be, definitely a first-world problem...

"A date?" I cleared my throat, "with who?"

I tried to keep my tone as calm and friendly as possible, not wanting to come off as bothered in the least, even when I was.

Cody was kind, funny and devilishly good looking, which meant he really didn't have trouble at all when it came to relations with the opposite sex. Whenever he dated somebody, or had a girlfriend, I forced myself to keep my mouth shut as I just had to live with it.

We had been friends for as long as I can remember. Our friendship was so strong and such an important pillar in my own wellbeing, I couldn't risk it by having told him a few years ago about how I'd started to have feelings towards him, or even now when I was hopelessly falling for him.