Where I Stand

There is a line that separates the world. On one side is everything, on the other is Lambert.

It's always there, though Lambert didn't notice it until the day that he was taken from his home. It was a shitty life in the village with his parents, but it was one that was familiar. Lambert's father may have been a piece of garbage, but Lambert's mother loved him, and that was enough. Or it was anyway, until a witcher showed up at their door and dragged him kicking and screaming to Kaer Morhen.

On that day Lambert made a conclusion: If the world was going to try and fuck him over, then he was gonna make the world regret it.

And so, Lambert stepped over the line. He wouldn't let anything hurt him again. As long as he stayed on his side of The Line he could protect himself, he was safe.

That's how it was for most of his life: Lambert and the world; two separate entities that never crossed sides. He knew exactly where to stand.

But then Aiden came and fucked up all his plans.

--------------------------------

The first time Aiden had called Lambert his friend was just after he'd shattered a man's arm for insulting him. The incident had gotten them run out of town once the bastard had rallied the rest of his drunkard buddies, except Lambert hadn't cared about their subsequent banning from that village, the only thing going through his mind was, wait, we're friends?

Lambert assumed he and Aiden just had an understanding. Splitting contracts and travelling together was mutually beneficial for all parties involved-- they were just allies, acquaintances maybe. Nothing more. Things were better that way, if Lambert didn't form attachments, then it was easier when everyone died or inevitably left him.

But Aiden had taken the first step into making them something more than that. He'd called Lambert his friend, even though Lambert insulted and yelled at him, told him to shut up, and growled whenever Aiden asked him a question. Aiden was the first person to actually try-- he toed The Line and instead of pulling it farther away, Lambert decided to let Aiden step just a little closer.

They can be friends then, if Aiden wants to so badly. Friends. Alright. It's a little different than he's used to, but Lambert still knows exactly where the two of them stand.

Except things get more complicated when he and Aiden start fucking.

Lambert has only just become comfortable letting Aiden be his friend, and now here he is, inching closer to The Line again.

The first time, Lambert assumed it was just a fluke. Handjobs don't mean anything; and Aiden just felt bad about getting them kicked out of the brothel. These things happen between friends in the wilderness all the time-- or at least, Lambert assumes they do. He's never really had friends before, and certainly not friends as pretty as Aiden. But then it just...kept happening, and next thing Lambert knew, the Cat had taken another step closer to where he was standing. And okay, maybe Aiden just wants to fuck. It is admittedly difficult when they spend weeks on the road between towns, and sex keeps their heads clear from distraction. It's not like Lambert is going to say no if someone as pretty as Aiden wants to fuck him-- he likes Aiden, and Lambert is starting to trust him more than he's willing to admit.

And holy shit, the sex is so godsdamn good.

So, they're friends. Friends who occasionally have sex. The idea takes some getting used to, but eventually, Lambert knows exactly where he stands.