The Scents of Home

Getting Aiden used to Lambert's presence is a long and careful process, but after a week of sitting with the Cat witcher every waking hour of his free time, Lambert starts to notice significant changes.

It usually starts off the same; with Aiden growling and making attempts to break his restraints and throttle Lambert upon entering his room. When that doesn't work, he moves to the growling and pacing, until finally, Aiden gives up for the day and begrudgingly accepts that Lambert is more stubborn than he is. (Lambert would know, he's held the title for the Wolf School's most stubborn asshole since he was a trainee)

And once Aiden reaches the point of acceptance, he becomes curious.

Lambert knew that look in his eye the first time it happened-- he would know it anywhere. It's the exact look he's seen countless times before; that sly sideways glance, followed by the way Aiden's eyebrows bunch up a little and his pupils dilate just so. It's usually minutes after Lambert sees the look that he's fleeing an enraged monster or mob of villagers because Aiden got one of his ideas and is unfamiliar with the concept of impulse control.

Lambert was reading when he first saw The Look cross Aiden's face. Instead of the arm chair, he was on the rug, sitting crossed legged with his back propped up against the wall. Perhaps Aiden considered him less threatening that way, or maybe it was just luck, but when Lambert cautiously glanced up to check on him, he found Aiden creeping over to his side of the room. Of course the moment he saw Lambert looking at him he growled and burrowed back under his blankets, but that still didn't stop the little flicker of hope rising in Lambert's chest.

The next time it happens, Lambert is more careful. He keeps his eyes entirely focused on the book and listens to the scraping sound of chains sliding across the floor. He only looks up once it stops, and finds Aiden paused at the edge of the radius that his chains will allow. He holds his breath as Aiden growls, then slowly lowers himself to sit on the floor, keeping their eyes locked.

It goes on like that for two weeks. Everyday Lambert sits with Aiden, and every day Aiden becomes calmer and inches closer. To see what happens, Lambert starts setting up closer as well, and day by day, approaches Aiden's radius until he finally finds himself sitting an arms length away from the Cat, staring into one wide green eye.

Aiden blinks and Lambert's breath hitches. He wants to reach out and touch him so badly it hurts.

"Hey, Aiden." The words are soft spoken, but still sound like a thunderclap in the stillness of the room.

The Cat tilts his head and makes an almost chirping sound-- that one's new, and if Lambert is being honest it's frankly adorable.

"Do you...do you know me?"

Aiden makes the sound again and blinks slowly.

"Okay, well I'm not really sure what that means, but..." Lambert sighs. Fuck it. He's...he's gonna try something stupid.

"Alright, kitten. I'm gonna trust you here, but you need to promise that you won't bite my fingers off." Aiden makes another sound, probably indicating that he will make no such promises, but keeps his eye locked with Lambert's.

Holding his breath, Lambert slowly reaches out a hand.

Aiden flinches and shrinks back.

"It's alright," Lambert tells him, holding the position completely still despite the rising anticipation in his chest. "I'm not gonna hurt you, kitty cat."

Aiden stares him down cautiously, then, concluding that Lambert doesn't intend to move further, slowly returns to his previous position. His eye looks to the hand, then back at Lambert. He makes a sort of a whining sound deep in his throat and leans forwards.