Through The Glass

Rules are put in place to ensure they have no repeat incidents. Aiden (or the Cat as Vesemir calls him-- refusing to use his name), is to remain in the recovery room at all times. The doors will always be locked and Vesemir holds the single key, resulting in any visits to the room needing to be run by him first. Lambert objects to this first. Vehemently. And eventually they come to a compromise that if and when Aiden begins to recover and regain some of his humanity, restrictions will be relaxed. (I'm doing this for your own good, Lambert, I don't want you lying dead on my floor because the Cat ripped your throat out).

When Lambert or someone else is permitted to enter Aiden's room, they must always have another person with them. Safety in numbers, and all that.

Upon hearing that rule, Jaskier turned to Geralt with a dopey smile on his face asking, "will you be my buddy?" causing both to snicker and Lambert being forced to shield his eyes as they started kissing right there.

Once inside Aiden's room, there are more concerns. Aiden will continue to wear dimeritium shackles. Vesemir is very firm on this fact. Attached to the far wall, the chains have a lead of a two and a half meter radius, allowing any visitors to stay on the other side of the room and out of reach. Meals are delivered carefully, with one person casting axii on the Cat witcher beforehand. For the first couple days, Aiden refused to eat anything, and Eskel's brilliant idea solved the problem for both safety and getting food into the man.

Other forms of care are another matter entirely. Debates are thrown around on the merits of bringing Aiden down to the hotsprings to wash, to cleaning him with buckets and sponges (a method that everyone save for Lambert was opposed to), to using axii to make him clean himself with said buckets and sponges. In the end, Jaskier promptly ends the debate by snapping his fingers and removing any dirt with magic. The bard also helps with trimming Aiden's hair and beard, and healing any remaining injuries he has.

Fae magic, who knew?

And then, after all those other things, they're left with the real problem: how to help a man who's lost his mind.

Lambert knew that none of this would be easy, but still doesn't stop the first three days from being some of the worst in his life.

It's difficult to see Aiden like this. Too-thin, scarred and broken, not even knowing his own damn name. Sometimes it's too much for Lambert to take and he has to force himself to look away.

One the first day he stands with Eskel outside Aiden's door. Eskel gives him a comforting look as Lambert fights to keep his breathing steady.

"We can wait," Eskel says, "until you're ready."

Lambert shoves the other witcher's offered hand out of the way. "I am ready."

"Are you sure, Lambert? It's okay if this is too--"

"I said I'm fine, okay?"

Eskel sighs. "Okay."

Lambert's whole body seizes up as they enter the room. Okay, fine. Maybe he isn't exactly ready. Because seeing Aiden unconscious is one thing, but having those green eyes fall on him and seeing no recognition behind them-- well, it cuts deep.

Aiden is very much awake and currently crouched over the bed in a defensive position, much like a lion protecting its den. There's calculation behind those eyes though, Lambert sees them focus razor sharp, a sign of a predator biding their time. A growl rises in Aiden's chest and Lambert takes one slow step towards him.