Chapter 7 - Relentless Decision

As the sun began to peek through the curtains, Mocha stretched himself in his new roommate's house, in the cozy, big bed. The warmth of the fluffy comforter and the softness of the pillows made him lose track of time, causing him to wake up a bit late. After a few moments of lazily gazing around his room, he finally got up and headed to the bathroom. As he stood in front of the mirror, he couldn't help but stare at the way his cat-like eyes sparkled in the bright light.

He lingered in front of the mirror for a while.

"How I ended up here, with someone I just met. Living rent-free. Only in exchange for my company?" His words played in his mind. He recalled his travels around the world with nostalgia.

Where did the feeling go actually, in the village? With the guards? For the first time, a wave of exhaustion washed over him, making him question his desire to continue traveling, feeling it was better to stay here. He did not have any permanent home before and was used to surviving everywhere he went. He did not mind that at all but, the village seemed to change his mind.

"What are you?"

The words of the guards who chased him ranged like a sickening alarm. A day at the village's market turned out bad for him.

"What is this creature? Why does he have a tail?" A woman said concerningly, eyes starting to stare directly at Mocha's appearance. The people of the village began to mutter, gossiping and chattering about him. They wore a face of fright and disgust.

"It's stealing!" A butcher from afar saw some items that were in the market at his hand. Pointing at him with his stinky bloody cleaver.

"It?"

He froze for a while, responded few seconds after, "What? No no, I bought this!" He declared.

"No way a filthy creature like you can have a penny to buy it!"

Huh..?

"Creature?" In disbelief, Mocha's eyes widened as he finally comprehended the meaning behind their words. He stood there, trembling.

"Why do they care about what I am...?" He muttered. His nose wrinkled at the villagers' aggressive behaviors towards him.

"He must be dangerous! He is not human!" The villagers started to circle him, throwing insults and slurs. Pointing and gesturing to leave. Mocha whirled and turned around anxiously as they started to get closer. He was afraid of them, afraid they may harm him.

That went, and the traveler made a wrong move.

While in frustration and fear, nervousness began to take over his actions. He accidentally pulled his blade out, pointing at the crowd. The public let out a huge gasp and they all took massive steps backward in fear, afraid that they may get hit by the unknown cat-looking creature.

"I am human!" Mocha shouted, barren his pointy little fangs. He never thought that he needed to prove his humanity after such a long time. People who get along with him before, have never mentioned his pointy cat ears that grow on his head or his wagging brown tail.

Soon, the guards arrived, with their silver armor and spears paired with white shields. Did they actually need that? For what? To get rid of him? Why?

"I am more human than they are..." Mocha muttered to himself. He washed his face and wiped it with a clean soft towel. He had a thought that Felicia didn't mention much, regarding his looks or being. Either she did not care or it was a normal thing to her, well since she was not even human herself.