CHAPTER 5: Ambushed

Previous Chapter:

"Now for you, Artemis, this whistle will teleport your hunt to you, it can only be used once but it will be something to use in the upcoming battle."

She thanked her father and there was an awkward silence, broken by a question from the son of Poseidon.

"Why does it seem like we are going to be walking to our death?"

PART 1: THE CITY OF GOLD

CHAPTER 5: Ambushed

   Percy picked up a backpack from his bed, enough clothes for a few days as well as a lot of ambrosia, a whole carton of nectar, and a bag filled with blue cookies. Riptide was in his pocket and his shield was on his wrist. He exited the Poseidon Cabin and made his way to the big house. Annabeth stood on the deck talking to Chiron, the centaur with a troubled look on his face.

"What happened?" Percy asked, putting his hands on the wooden rail.

"We fear that this was just the first of many and I don't believe that the campers are prepared for another war." Chiron explained "Hopefully you are successful on your mission and no one else has to fight."

Percy nodded, "That would be ideal, now I do unfortunately need to go to Olympus to become an immortal, at least temporarily, before we can leave."

Annabeth nodded sadly and the two demigods embraced. Percy kissed her softly before walking towards the hill and leaving the camp. Once he reached the base of the hill he threw out a drachma onto the road and car whizzed over the road before halting abruptly in front of him.

"The Grey Sisters." a sinister voice said, and Percy opened the door and entered the car. "Empire State Building please."

The sister with eye grinned maniacally at him "Very well son of Poseidon, going to get your life extended are you?"

Percy shrugged his shoulders "Do you have any advice for me?"

After a long pause one of the other sisters replied "The city is not what it seems."

Percy stared at her in confusion. The statement had made no sense at all to him, what city was she talking about? If this was about Manhattan, the place where they were dropping him off, what did they think was wrong with it? If it was some other place, how did they expect him to know what they were talking about? "What city?" he voiced aloud.

The car suddenly braked and he looked around in surprise, they were already at his destination. The door automatically opened.

"What city are you talking about?" He asked again, this time to no response, he sighed before exiting the car and making his way into the building.

Without a word, the security guard passed him a golden card and sent him toward the elevator. It wasn't long before Percy was once again on Olympus and making his way to the Throne Room.

"Lord Zeus," Percy said, kneeling once again.

"Perseus, I trust you are ready?" Zeus asked.

"I am." replied the boy.

There was some murmuring in ancient Greek throughout a portion of the council, followed by a bright flash. Percy collapsed to the ground before sitting up slowly.

"So this is what it feels like to be immortal?"  

* * * * * FRAGMENTS - PART 1 * * * * *

 Percy and Artemis walked carefully through a large forest, the sounds of crickets chirping in the early hours of the day were heard. The pair made their way toward the eighth biggest American national park, they had arrived nearby to the south entrance so that they didn't have to walk a long distance, but at the same time, far enough not to alert their enemies of their arrival.