23: True Island Devil

"Oliver, you keep an eye on those two. I'll shoot any Jaegerists still wandering about," Hange ordered, collecting a gun that they'd found earlier. Oliver turned to face them as he got up from the ground.

After diving into that river, it was a long and breathless swim, but the four of you eventually made it to a safe spot. For the next few hours, Oliver and Hange had spent them setting up camp to fit in the four of you. Taking care of you didn't seem as hard as Levi; it took a whole thirty minutes just to take his cape off and wrap it around the right side of his face. (pieces of wood from the wagon that got blown up had splintered themselves into that side of Levi's face) Then, taking care of you was the problem solving; Hange was already using their cape to keep themselves somewhat blended in with the greenery, and Oliver didn't have his cape either. The gash on your head wasn't getting any better, and the blood was seeping down your neck and eventually soaked your shirt. By then, the two of them were panicking for a solution until Oliver decided to rip off one of his sleeves and use it as a bandage to wrap around your head.

"Alright, I'll let you know when one of them wakes back up." He replied before glancing down at you with a slight frown. He sat back down next to you, putting his hand up to your forehead then pulled it back with a sigh. "They've still got a fever."

"Keep a wet rag over their head, that should cool them down just a bit." That was the last thing Hange said before wandering off beyond that setup, disappearing behind the trees and wildlife. Oliver knew staying out in the rain for as long as the two of you did would get one of you under the weather, it sucks that it had to be the stronger one of the duo.

Oliver reached over, picking up a rag before dipping it in the water bucket Hange had somehow found, wrung it a little bit, then folded it and rested it on your forehead. He sighed, hugging his knees to his chest and rocking back and forth. He wondered if you were dreaming or not. If so, what were you dreaming about? A life with Hange? Making things up with Gertrude? Another day of nonsense at Marley in the year 843? A plethora of ideas came rushing into his head all at once, like water rushing to fill a bucket or a cup.

Dusk eventually rolled around once again, and Hange had only stopped to rest or reload maybe thrice today, Oliver wondered what they were feeling when they'd shoot down yet another comrade. He also wondered what was happening with the rest of your squad, did they die? Did they join the Jaegerists? Sure, that lot was a bit of a handful, but he did care for them. (the bare boned minimum, at least) He wouldn't know how to tell you if he found out one of those ideas was reality.

"There's no more soldiers now, I don't think." Hange announced as they made their way through the leaves and spotted Oliver in the same spot they last saw him. "Have you left their side at all?"

"A thunder spear went off in their face, and now they've got a fever. Did you expect me to be pacing back and forth like a crazy person?" Oliver grumbled with a frown as he turned to face the Commander. Hange sighed and went over to your spot, crouching down and removing the rag to press a hand to your forehead. You were still pretty warm, but not as warm as the last they checked. They hummed before taking the rag and tossing it into the bucket. "They're cooling down. Oliver, open up that box over there," Hange pointed at the small tin box next to Levi. "It's got a needle and a thread."

"Are you going to stitch up Captain Levi?"

"Yes– to the best of my ability, at least." Hange answered, removing their own cape and crouching down next to Levi while Oliver opened up the box.

While Hange was stitching up Levi with Oliver's assistance, your eyes slowly fluttered open. The position you were laying in gave you a front row view of the dome above you, showing the light purple sky above, no clouds. You tried sitting up, but the weight of the light blanket seemed too heavy as you quickly lay back down. That left you no choice but to listen to the mumbles and curses coming from Oliver and Hange.