21: Queen of Hearts

After you and Hange talked, and let you cry, they still had to arrest you for insubordination. You didn't really mind, it was fair considering they did tell you to stop with Gabi, and you didn't. This was your first time in the cells, but you did prefer this over that dungeon from four years ago. At least here you had a mattress; no chains or anything like that.

On your way to your cell, you found Eren in his own cell for his own crimes. Since the two of you would be put down here, Hange decided to put you in the cell right next to his. That way the both of you wouldn't be lonely.

"What're you in here for, Y/n?" You heard Eren ask from the other side of the wall, his voice slightly muffled by the brick separating you two. "Insubordination, you?"

"A lot of things, the list is long." He answered, taking a seat on the floor and sitting against the wall, sitting criss cross. "Did you enjoy your time in Marley?" You asked, turning your head to face the bars you were sitting behind. Eren sighed, tapping his finger on his leg. "Not really, I fought in the war. I cut off my leg and stabbed my eye out to make me look less suspicious and went to some psych ward with my claimed 'memory loss.' " Eren explained, keeping his face expressionless. You did the same, turning your head to face the wall opposite of you.

"Was it hard? Attacking your own people?" He asked. Your eyes lowered, hooding them as you brought your hand up to hold the side of your head. "Yeah. Lost someone on the way back, too."

"I understand, I saw some of it, too. You and that girl, was she your friend?" Eren suggested.

"She was my best friend, aside from Oliver. Now I only have him and Armin. Gertrude said she hates me, and I don't think she was just angry."

"I'm sorry. How long were you friends?"

"Counting the time I've spent here, 22 years."

Eren slightly lifted his eyebrows up in surprise, he didn't know a friendship could last that long. "I'm sorry, Y/n. I can't imagine how hard that was for you."

"That's alright, it wasn't your fault."

"...Actually, part of it was. If I hadn't infiltrated Marley, you and everyone else wouldn't have been sent on that raid. I feel bad, the way you return to your home for the first time in so long is by battle."

"Don't, you did it for the sake of Eldia," You reminded him, turning your head to face the bars once again. He slightly turned his head as well, shifting his legs and placing his feet flat on the floor, resting his arms on his knees. "That reminds me, you're not Eldian, right?"

"No. I'm completely Marleyan, Gertrude and Oliver are both Eldian, though."

"Then why did you stay? What made you join and fight with us?" He pressed, slightly knitting his eyebrows together. "And don't say Hange-san."

"Anything else would be lying, Eren. Why did you infiltrate Marley? And don't say for Eldia."

He clicked his tongue in defeat and sighed, leaning his head against the brick wall. When he shifted his arms, he noticed the wall was a little damp. Talk about water damage. "So all of it was for Hange-san?"

"That still sounds ridiculous to this day, even after proving my love for them four years ago. Oliver always makes fun of me for it."

"I don't blame him. I'm happy for you and glad you found someone, but switching sides for one person does sound a bit dumb. No offense."

"None taken, I bully myself for it, too."

"...I think this is the longest we've ever talked before." Eren admitted, causing silence to fall between the two of you. While you were staring at the bars, it just now occurred to you that this really was the longest the both of you have ever talked. In the 11 years you've been here and the 8 months you had with him and the Levi squad, you two never really talked much unless it was necessary. Talking to him back then seemed like a chore, an order, like when you're on a mission. Now talking to him is actually...calming.