Shopping |17|

I bite my already bruised lip and sigh with my hands on my hips

"Lia, I don't know what dress to pick." I say with a sigh, Duke said we will be attending this fancy conference while in Los Angeles.

We are going so far. Like so far. Los Angeles is across the country! I've never been that far away from home, Father would never bring me or Mama on his work trips, he'd just leave with maybe notice that he will be gone, and then me and my Mom would just be home alone. Which brought more peace than I thought when I was a kid, we would go all sorts of places like an amusement park or the spa or my Dads least favorite activity, shopping.

He never liked taking us out on any sort of shopping spree, I don't really know why though, whenever I'd beg him instead of Mama he'd scowl at me and say "Have you done anything to earn a shopping spree, Darlene?"

I would always try earning my way into getting what I wanted, but most times it's like I never did anything right.

"Well the weather will not be cold like New York because it's California, and you said it's fancy fancy?" Liana asks me, standing next to me with her hands on her own hips.

I nod, chewing the side of my cheek.

The dresses I have that classify as maybe fancy, are not exactly professional.

They are just solid color sun dresses and Liana said none of these would work for a conference.

"Alright, well I have to go, i'm sure we will figure it out before Wednesday." I say, turning around and grabbing my purse off the floor and sling it over my shoulder.

"Okay, well if you need my help just ask." She says smiling at me, kissing me on the cheek.

"Don't you have work?" I ask, walking out of my bedroom with her next to me.

"I decided to take the day off." She says, my eyebrows shoot up and I smile.

"That's great, Lia!" I squeal, "You never take days off, is something wrong?" I ask with sudden concern, Liana has always felt like she needed to work for everything she wanted and needed, so she works so much and never had time for herself or to rest. Her family was never exactly financially stable growing up and so now it's hard for her to get out of the headspace that she doesn't have to work so hard anymore.

She shrugs at me with a small smile, "I just felt like it, and what you said a couple days ago really resonated with me so, I decided to take a day for myself."

I hug her tightly, squeezing her into a bear hug and giggle out of excitement.

"I'm so proud of you, Lia." I say, grinning.

She smiles with me and I swear I see her eyes glaze over at my words.

"Okay well I have a spa appointment in 30 minutes so i'll walk out with you." She says with a grin. Liana never, ever, goes to the spa.