Chapter 3

Alec’s POV

I was going to fucking kill them. All three of them. As if Kellen didn’t get enough shit already, now he had to deal with three assholes who were supposed to be his friends on his tail. Like I was going to let them get away with that. My last two classes were spent plotting revenge that Kel would probably never let me get, but a man could fantasize couldn’t he?

Seeing Kellen at the end of the day didn’t exactly help the bad mood I was in, not that I didn't want to see him, but although the bruise had looked mild on top of the roof earlier it was significantly more defined now. It had spread, causing half of his jaw and the lower part of his check bone to be splattered with a painful looking purple colour. It made me see red.

Kellen was quickly approaching me now, backpack slung over one shoulder and eyes trained on the ground. I could barely see his face thanks in large part to his curtain of curly blonde hair but the part I could see did not make me happy in the least. I had to clench my fists and push myself back against Kellen's locker, well out shared locker since I never bothered to use mine, just to keep from going and beating the crap out of Bryce and his asshole dogs.  

The second he got into touching distance from me I had him pinned against me in a tight hug, "Jesus Kel. That looks like shit," I said quietly, almost whispered. This was comfortable, familiar territory. By now Kellen was used to me coddling him every time he got hurt. Which happened to be quite often as the kid was a walking danger magnet. The universe worked in highly sadistic ways sometimes. I hated seeing Kellen get hurt.  

"It’s fine, doesn’t even hurt too bad. Besides, I think you got Bryce pretty good. It’s alright," Kellen shrugged and leaned against me with a look that almost resembled relief. Not that I blamed him, I knew he hated being alone, hated not being touched or having human contact, so much so that if he went to long without it he had horrible nightmares. I’d witnessed them only a handful of times but I knew for a fact that I never wanted to see them again. Nothing I did in those scenarios had made him feel better, and I couldn’t wake him up. All I could do was sit by him all night and watch as he suffered. After around the fourth time this happened I forced him to sleep in my bed, the nightmares subsided. Even knowing this I wasn’t sure if I could be there for him like all of his previous girlfriends had. Actually, I was positive I couldn’t be. Sure, I hoped that just being around him was enough but I had a feeling I had to be more touchy feely now that girls were off limits. This was a thought I wasn’t exactly looking forwards to. I didn't even know where to begin trying to be more affectionate towards him but at least with him I could ask. I'd make this work somehow. All things aside, in this moment that wasn't the biggest problem.

Kellen as usual was being as pacifistic as he always was. He was going to do anything in his power to stop me from going after Bryce but if Bryce so much as looked at him wrong Kellen wouldn’t be able to stop me. I'd get my revenge someway. It probably won't be physical revenge, which doesn't really tickle my fancy, but it will be revenge.  

I could feel the eyes of the students that hadn’t yet left bore into us as Kellen wrapped his arms around my back and held on tighter to me. In all reality, in this particular situation, the hugging didn’t bother me too bad but the way they all stared at us made me feel as if I had no privacy. As if they could suddenly see all my secret thoughts. And that I had a problem with. There was only one person who had even seen what lay inside my mind. Only one person who was allowed to look at me like he could see into my soul and that person was currently in my arms. I trusted Kellen, I did not trust all of these people. Their looks made me squirm uncomfortably and I could tell Kellen felt it too.

"We should go…" I said quietly to Kellen, suddenly too scared to speak up as if that would set off some chain reaction and all the people watching us would lunge. I’m not entirely certain why I was comparing them to vultures and Kel and I to dead carcasses but that’s all I could think of.