17• Believe in Béyu

Wednesday, May 10th.

When I woke up, it's the same time as when our friends were coming in. It was already morning when they stumbled thought the door laughing.

I was in the dark kitchen drinking water but before I could leave, the light was switched on and Ella stood there smirking.

"I know I smell you."

"Wah yuh mean by dat?" I frowned, blinking so my eyes could get use to the light. "Mih tink?"

"Yuh stink a coconut. A from high school ya use dem products deh inna. Coconut a yuh signature smell."

"Ella." I looked at her good. Definitely tipsy or sobering up from being drunk. It was one or the other, if not both.

"Uh?"

"Yuh good?"

"As long as yuh have wah man weh love yuh like how Justin love mih. Yuh memba dih list wih mek inna eighth grade after wih play dih game." She leans against the wall looking at me smiling. "Mih a marry Kevaughn, wih a have five pickney, mih go drive a cute pink benz and wih go live in a wah two storey house."

"J comes before k still. Justin instead of yuh old crush Kevaughn. Yuh engaged fih married, children will come when unnu ready, yuh already own a cute pink benz and unnu living in a two storey house in Florida." She came over and hugged me, resting her head on my shoulder, smelling like booze and weed.

"You wah marry Ryan, have two pickney, drive a G-Wagon and live inna wah three storey mansion. Yuh stop believe, Kayaérachilani. Wih cyaw lower wih standards best friend. Mih cyaan deh win without yuh. A you gimmie all a yuh saving suh mih can buy plane ticket. A you help mih study fih even get the chance fih guh study overseas. A you beg yuh fada fih mek mih stay wid yuh because mummy run mih outta har house. Nuh give up Kayaérachilani, believe nuh." She held me tight, crying and I comforted her.

"Mih a try, Ella. Although the three storey house a fih mih parents, it counts as sum'n. One day mih will marry after you duh yours and have mih two pickney dem. Have mih G-Wagon inna baby blue and build dih mansion wid mih husband. Mih just... Mih just feel it too early. A nuh every man wah marry or have one woman. A better gyal always come roun' and dem get tempted fih change dem mind pan wih mediocre female. Plus mih still young Ella, puss and dwag nuh have the same luck."

"Mih have sum'n fih tell yuh. Fih confess." She held my face while her ugly crying face makes me smile. "So pretty."

"You're drunk Ella."

"Best friend. Please forgive me. I let him... I let Zyair listen to our private conversation about your lack of sexual experience. I'm sorry, but he's single and it's... He's a good man like my Justin. You don't believe but I believe for you, for us. We have to win, I'll help make you win too. I'm sorry Béyu, I'm so sorry. Forgive me." She pleaded, crying harder.

"I forgave you, Ella. Stop crying..."

"Béyu, they'll never be you." She smiled and I felt confused by her sudden mood swings. "You're my bestest friend and I'm sorry I left you here with Lando and Sherry. Did you know that Kevin is in a gang up in Flanker?"

"Okay Ella, drink some of this." I got her a bottle of water. "Drink it and I'll believe. I'll win just like you are."

She only took a little sip and threw the entire bottle in the sink. We watched it emptied until nothing much was left.

"Come on, get some rest."

I helped her out of the kitchen but she keeps watching me instead of her steps then she points directly at my nose.

"You're walking funny. You let the rich man sleep with you. My bestie is all grown up but I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you how rich he is. He's Justin's boss and Justin is his security and best friend. You're gonna be so rich..."

"Ella." Justin rushed over and took her. "Thanks Béyu, don't take what she says to heart. She's drunk."

"Okay." I smiled as if it was nothing, leaving them to get back down the hall to our room.

Dem think mih a eediot.

Ella cyaw hide things from mih fih long. It's either har man or Zyair mek shi deh keep secrets which a bother har.

Anything inna dark muss come tu the light.

There I found Zyair still sleeping soundly so I got back in my bed and starts reading stories underneath the covers, awaiting day break.