2

You stand in front of the hybrid shelter closest to your home with a nervous heart, the beating loud and fast in your ribcage as you stare at the door, this is it, right? You're finally doing this, you're going back home with hybrids.

You don't know how many exactly you intend to adopt today, you just know that you want there to be a connection with them, you want to be compatible with their personalities, because clashing with them all the time is not something you want.

With one last deep breath, you push the door open and enter inside the imposing building that has most definitely seen better days, and once in front of the desk, you're greeted by a woman who looks terribly happy when she hears that you intend to adopt more than one hybrid.

When she asks you how many you have in mind precisely, you simply tell her that you don't know, you just know that you want the process to be respectful of the hybrids' wishes. If they don't want to go with you, then you won't force them to leave with you. That seems to please her.

She takes you through a few corridors while talking to you about a small group that has been here in the shelter for nearly a year now, three inseparable hybrids with a very kind personality, if you can get through their cold facade. None of the employees at the shelter have managed to get a smile from them yet, but she said they are very close, the three of them.

They simply struggle in letting anyone else close to them, probably from a lack of trust in humans. That makes you a little worried because you don't know why they would accept you if they despise everyone, but you decide to follow anyway, you never know what might happen.

If the hybrids you end up adopting are already close, that would help you a lot. Sure, you might feel a bit left out sometimes in the beginning, but you want to believe that you could get closer with time and patience.

She makes you stop in front of a door with a tensed smile, and instead of opening it right away, she knocks on the window besides it, the closed curtain from the other side giving the inhabitants some privacy while also allowing them to see who wants to see them before opening the door.

It takes a moment, but a face eventually appears after sliding the fabric to the side, and when the eyes settle on you, you understand immediately why she talked about the coldness, that hybrid does not look happy to see you at all.

The door opens to give you sight into a small room with three beds, and behind the tall man currently standing in the doorway like a protective wall, you can see two other just as impressive hybrids sat on the same middle bed and also staring at you.

Your hands turn sweaty instantly and you hide them in your pockets to try and keep your calm, the way their eyes follow your every moves without a word spoken aloud getting your nerves all over the place, a sentiment the woman working here seems to share, and you briefly wonder if her bringing you to them first isn't her way of trying to get rid of their group because she's scared of them.

You could read the note on the door after all.

Beware, dangerous predators. Proceed carefully.

As if they would try to rip you apart as soon as you open the door.

"T-these are the hybrids I told you about. You can stay here and talk with them for a while if you want, I'll come back to see you in ten minutes, what do you think?" she says with a nervous voice, her feet already fidgeting to take her away from here, and you sigh before nodding your head.

It's no wonder that they can't get close to anyone if everyone's acting like this. You observe as she runs away and you shake your head softly before turning your gaze back to the trio who still silently takes you in with a strange glow in their eyes.