1

You stare at the newspaper in front of you with a deep sigh.

Hybrids are losing in popularity, shelters are overwhelmed, what happens to them now?

It makes you frown.

First, humans create hybrids to treat like pets, cute and obedient little things that look up to you like you're a god, and when they get bored of their creation, they already jump onto the next fun toy, hence leaving behind them living beings who are now completely confused and left to themselves.

You hate how selfish humans are. You might be one yourself, but you hate how everyone around you seems to always jump on the next train when someone says to do so.

You bring your gaze back to the newspaper in front of you, the words weighing heavy on your heart. What will happen to those hybrids now? Are the shelters going to start euthanizing them like they're some kind of wild animals? The simple thought of it makes you nauseous.

You stare around you with a sense of urgency, eyes taking in how empty your house is and brain already registering how many of them you could take it, how many hybrids can you afford with your salary?

There are empty rooms both on the main floor and upstairs, so it's not like you lack the space. You're often at home doing work calls in your office and answering emails so really, you could take care of hybrids while working from home, as long as they can respect that there are times to be bothered, and times to be left alone.

You do need to make money to buy food and heat the floors, and that's besides the clothes and other living expenses that will add to the list, such as phones and working plans for all of them, you need to have a budget set up and working before jumping head first into this.

You bring your gaze back to the newspaper and read lower on the same page to see that hybrid shelters are apparently willing to help furnish bedrooms and get clothes for those who accept to adopt more than one hybrid, something that would certainly help you get started.

The question is... how many are you willing and can afford to adopt? How many can you handle on your own? And most of all... what types of hybrids would they be?

Preys? Predators?

Don't they require a different kind of care depending on their animal instincts? You can't just jump in with your eyes closed, you definitely need more information, so you grab your phone and access a popular website for hybrids in the hopes of learning what you need.

You heard often in the past that predators are loving creatures, but that they need a lot of attention, and as you thought, the website confirms this as a 100% true.

Regular walks outside and going to the park to let them run are very important so that they don't have an excess of energy at home, but you also have to be careful of the scents that stick to you as they tend to get jealous extremely fast.

A scent coming from the opposite sex can make the hybrids feel more protective and aggressive, which is why most people are scared of adopting them.

You heard once that a past owner got locked in their own home because their hybrid was scared of being abandoned, all of that due to a hug from a cousin after a family gathering that didn't accept hybrids in their midst.

You can't really ignore that, though you have an inkling that this might have happened because the owner didn't give their hybrid enough attention. Neglect can cause many types of reactions from these poor creatures, so as long as you're careful about that, you should be fine, right?

It's not like you ever see family anyway, you're pretty much always alone and you don't believe it's something that will change outside of the hybrids you would adopt, you've always been kind of a loner after all.

Yeah, you should be fine.

You continue reading a bit longer about predators before falling onto the section about prey hybrids.

As expected, they're a lot calmer than predators, they're more comfortable spending time at home than they are about going outside, though there are exceptions to the rule.

Overall easier to take care of, but they're also frightened and cuddly creatures, so while not as aggressive as predators, you still need to be careful with possible strangers' scents as prey hybrids have sensitive hearts.

You feel like both are fine to adopt for you so this didn't really help you choose, but it's always good to have more knowledge about their kind so you make sure to remember everything you just read. This might come in handy one day.

You go down lower on the page and begin reading all of the comments made by hybrid owners, and it really makes you wonder if the people who wrote these are even taking care of their hybrids properly, because some comments in there make you cringe more than you can handle, what were they thinking, writing that into the internet?

Some people are saying that you need to set hard limits with your hybrids, to remind them whenever needed of your differences, because if you make them believe even once that you love them, or could love them, then everything becomes hell.

What's so bad about having hybrids who want to give you attention and love while asking for the same treatment in return? You feel like that's pretty normal, isn't that how relationships work? Be it between friends or lovers?

That only goes to show you that people don't adopt hybrids for good reasons. What they're saying is basically to keep them as pets inside your home and to treat them like strangers, isn't it?

But the thing is, you can't imagine yourself not having an ounce of love for your hybrids, and it's not like you would mind falling in love with them either, ears and tails don't bother you at all, you feel like that would actually make them more endearing than humans.

Yeah, you're truly not a fan of your own race, dating another human is more likely to make you experience hell than dating a hybrid would.

You close the website before leaning over the coffee table in front of you to grab your notebook.

You guess it's time to get working on that budget now that you know what you want to do, and once that's done, you can have a look around the empty bedrooms to see how you could organize everything.

You don't know why this feels so important to you, but you really, really want to give a good life to these creatures who were brought into this world because of your kind's selfishness.

Maybe it's because you want to prove that you're not like your family, or like anyone else for that matter. Maybe it's to give yourself a reason to live, the very bland life that you're living enough to give you a headache from how boring it is.

Either way, you want to give this a go. You'll get hybrids, you'll fill this house.