𝟬𝟬𝟯. old creepy ladies

chapter three

chapter three.
— OLD CREEPY LADIES

iii.                                        PERCY WALKED downstairs to the faculty office. Most of them were dark and empty, but Mr. Brunner's door was ajar, light from his window stretching across the hallway floor.

He was three steps from the door handle when he heard voices inside the office. Mr. Brunner asked a question. A voice that was definitely Grover's said "...worried about Percy, sir."

He froze.

See, he wasn't usually an eavesdropper, but if his best friend was talking about him to his teacher how was he supposed to not listen?

He inched closer.

"...alone this summer," Grover was saying. "I mean, a Kindly One in the school! Now that we know for sure, and they know too—"

"We would only make matters worse by rushing him," Mr. Brunner said. "We need the boy to mature more."

"But he may not have time. The summer solstice deadline—"

"Will have to be resolved without him, Grover. Let him enjoy his ignorance while he still can."

A new voice interrupted the conversation.

"Really, Chiron? Ignorance gets you killed. You know that."

Chiron sighed.

"Judas, we've talked about this."

"Yes, we have. But he doesn't have any fuckin' time, none of us do."

"Son—"

"Look, I know you're hiding somethin' —so does Annabeth— and I know you don't want to tell me, but it's obvious something shitty is going on, and Percy's involved somehow. So if he is, the sooner we tell him the truth, the sooner he can learn to take care of whatever the fuck is wrong."

Wow. Percy thought.

Judas was the last person he thought would even want to tell him what really happened. Well, he doesn't necessarily have an idea of what happened, but he knows that what he saw was real.

And none of them want to tell him besides Judas.

   Grover, who knew this would turn into an argument, fearfully interrupted them.