Down a Red Memory Lane

- Ten Years Ago -

Something wet and coarse was sliding over his cheek, making him scrunch as he awoke. He groaned, his hands reaching up to push the dog over him away, but the hound wouldn't move, still running its tongue all over his face.

"Jupiter, get off me." Eli grunted, pulling the covers over his head, yet in mere seconds, the blanket was yanked right from above him and he shot up in his bed, watching with annoyance as the dog ran away with the wrap in its toothy clutch. "Jupiter!"

"Good boy, Jupiter! Now, go wake Eleanor." His mother chirped from somewhere in the house before appearing at his doorway, hands on her waist and a smile on her face. She gave him a look. "Come on, honey, off the bed."

"But it's early." He whined lowly, looking over to the clock resting on the nightstand, the hands nearly striking six as he averted his gaze towards the window, pointing his little finger its way. "And it's still dark outside, see?"

His mother chuckled, shaking her head while making her way towards him, lifting him up by the shoulders until he stood on the bed's edge, eyes leveling with hers. "These are winter's clouds hiding the sun, it's risen and shines beyond, which means you should start preparing yourself, don't slack off on your first day." She tapped his small nose with her forefinger and he nodded.

Elaina smiled, turned and got out, and not a minute later did he hear his sister squeaking before Jupiter came running in front of his room with another cover between his teeth, Eleanor racing after him. "Give me back my blanky, Jupiter!"

He giggled, climbing off the bed and heading towards the bathroom, turning the shower on. After taking a bath and getting dressed, he went downstairs into the kitchen, where breakfast awaited him on the table. His sister was already there, all dressed and chewing on her scrambled eggs.

"Eli, hurry and eat your breakfast before it gets cold, I don't want you two to be late." His mother said from her place behind the sink while washing a few tomatoes. "Remember, kids, it's just us and your grandmother, your father has to go on a business trip." She reminded, pulling out a large, sharp looking knife from the near drawer, waving at it with her hand before the object was cutting through the vegetables by itself. "Okay," she said, turning over to her children "are you both ready?"

"Yes."

"Alright then, get your bags and let's go."

They got off their seats, put their bags on and were about to run for the front door. "Wait!" They stopped, looking back at their mother, who had a camera in her hand, smiling widely. "I have to take a picture of this."

"Mommy, you already take too many pictures of us." Eleanor whined, making her mother glare at her. "Stand next to each other. Now."

They did as told, holding hands and smiling as Jupiter sat in front of them. The camera's light flashed and Elaina looked down once she was done, still smiling as the picture slid down from the slit. She grabbed the photo and stared at it, her lips pursing, but her smile was still there. "My babies." She squeaked, looking at them while her eyes shimmered. "You've grown too fast."

They grinned at her and she shook her head, placing the picture down. "I'm framing this when I get home, now let's go." With their mother on their trail, they hurried outside to stand at the porch, the cold winter wind in their faces as they gazed around.

The woman pushed them forward until they reached their father's grey car and they peered at her perplexed, she gave them a look. "I can't transport you to your school that way, people here don't know about us, and I'd very much prefer it if they never do, remember what we talked about yesterday? Speak no word of what we are and what we can do to anyone, understand?" she warned.