Two For Tragedy

Everybody was staring at him.

Corbin scanned the faces looking his way as he stepped through the door, the day hadn't even started yet and every living thing walking his new high's grounds stopped whatever they were doing and was now eying him like he was some sort of an alien. They weren't shy either, once their eyes settled on him, they didn't look away.

He heard whispers starting to break the heavy silence after a moment or so, words and hisses were curiously thrown towards him. Some even seemed weirdly fascinated, which sparked his interest as to what they've been told of him, vaguely remembering that the town's residents weren't such big fans of him and his family when they first moved. Way to boost up his discomfort.

He cursed under his breath and stuffed his hands into his jean pockets, walking into the crowd that parted for him to pass through. He let his eyes wander about every now and then for a glance, skimming through the faces that gaped at him. He sighed and rolled his eyes, looking ahead and marching on to find the principle's office where his mother told him he should go first.

It seemed that this wasn't going to be an easy first day.

He didn't know where he was going quite a few times, cussing his stupidity along the way. The school wasn't all that big and he should have found the damn office by now. Anyone could have simply shown him, but he still wasn't keen on asking people he didn't know.

They made him nervous for some reason, their oddly infatuated eyes weren't in the least comforting, and for the first time in days, he wished he could have spotted Eli somewhere in the hallways or between looking faces, because even though things were still awkward between them, and even though he still wanted to have a comfortable distance away from the boy, he had to admit that Eli was the only one here that he was somewhat at ease being around.

For the time being, at least.

He was finally standing at the principle's door and knocking softly. The reply came a second later, a clear, feminine voice inviting him in. He opened the door and walked into a fairly spacious room containing numerous book-stocked shelves, the golden light hanging from above was dim to some extinct yet still bright enough, and he heard nothing aside the swish of paper shuffled around by the dark haired, middle aged woman sitting at the desk located at the center of the office.

Her hazel eyes landed on him as soon as he closed the door behind him and she smiled instantly, faint wrinkles etching the corners of her eyes and mouth.

"Mr. Iverson." She greeted, standing up and extending her hand for him to shake. "I'm principal Dahlia, please, have a seat." she said, gesturing for the chair across from her. He did as told, his bag sliding off his shoulder to land near his feet. Her peaceful tone had him soothing down a little, she seemed quite benevolent, yet still had that firm, professional posture.

He watched while she organized her papers for a few more seconds before putting them aside, resting her hands on the table and lacing her fingers together, her smile still evident.

"Before we start with anything else, how are you?" she questioned calmly, sounding genuinely concerned.

"I'm good, thanks." He responded with a small smile of his own and she nodded. "Good, what happened must have been quite a trauma for you."

He snorted. "You have no idea."

She raised her brows and he coughed awkwardly into his fist. "I mean yes, ma'am, it has."

She chuckled lightly. "I spoke with your parents a few times and have gone over your previous school records, I'm glad to note you have potential, but also a rather troublesome nature, are you short tempered, Mr. Iverson?" she asked, eying him carefully.